Proper steps to migrate from VB to XF

Andy.N

I have a running vb 3.8.6 on site.com/forum/ and have been playing with XF on site.com/beta/
The front page is using Wordpress
I'm also working to move to another host but I'd like to ask for suggestion on what the optimal way to move forward

1) Close the VB for few hours, import VB to XF on the /beta/ site, get all the mod ready, the change the path url on XF control to /forum/ and change the /beta/ to /forum/ after rename VB installation /forum/ to /vb/

What are other things that I have to keep in mind with this approach?

2) Get the new server ready, then install XF on the /forum/ folder there, then backup and restore the VB database in the server with all the files under some /vb/ folder on the new server.
Then import VB to XF.

Then change the domain registrar to point to new server.

Thank you.

1) Close the VB for few hours, import VB to XF on the /beta/ site, get all the mod ready, the change the path url on XF control to /forum/ and change the /beta/ to /forum/ after rename VB installation /forum/ to /vb/

What are other things that I have to keep in mind with this approach?

Sounds good to me.

2) Get the new server ready, then install XF on the /forum/ folder there, then backup and restore the VB database in the server with all the files under some /vb/ folder on the new server.
Then import VB to XF.

Then change the domain registrar to point to new server.

Sounds good.

While you can combine a server move and an import I don't recommend it unless you are comfortable with both tasks. I recommend doing one and then the other, confirming after each task that the process completed without incident.

Thanks Jake,
In the interest of time, I would prefer the first approach as it allows me to have both installation on VB and XF working at the same time.

I have done import of VB data to the /beta/ installation a few times. Is there a quick and easy way to fresh install i.e remove all the previous import?

Is there a quick and easy way to fresh install i.e remove all the previous import?
When I did my test imports, I took a backup of the clean/empty XenForo database first so I could reload it after each test. I did the same for the vB database as I was importing from phpBB.

Unfortunately if you don't have a clean backup then the only option is to do a fresh install.
Browse to /install/index.php?upgrade/

I did exactly the steps I layout in 1) and got these erros

Warning: require(/home/xxx/public_html/beta/library/XenForo/Autoloader.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in/home/xxx/public_html/beta/index.php on line 8

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/xxx/public_html/beta/library/XenForo/Autoloader.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in/home/xxx/public_html/beta/index.phpon line 8

Top Bottom