Project Bloodfang - New PC Build Log.

What will be the final specs?

CPU - 4930k Hex core @ 4.7-4.8Ghz (5ghz+ if I get a lucky chip)
RAM - 32Gb DDR3 2400Mhz
Graphics - 2x Radeon R9 290x with mild overclocks
Main HDD - 2x Samsung 256Gb Evo SSD's (1 for OS, 1 for games)
Storage HDD - 3x 4TB Hitachi DeathDeskStar Drives in raid 5.
Soundcard - TBD (Probably a creative ZxR, maybe the asus Xonar)
PSU - 1200 Watt Digital

This is really impressive Slavik. It inspires me to go out and build a rig! But then I remember I'm broke... :confused: Ah well, I can live vicariously through these pics.

Nice choice on the hitachi's, supposedly the most reliable desktop grade disks at the minute: http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

If you haven't already bought them, I'd recommend switching to Seagate SV35's - excellently priced on the UK market and 24/7 rated with most of the guts of a ES.3

Also would recommend a usb dac instead of a sound card, depends on what you're outputting to though

I wont touch seagate ever again, I had 2 of their drives fail on me in the last 6 months alone. I didnt take a chance and wait for the 3rd, got some western digital drives and transfered the data then chucked it in the bin.

DACs... nah... ive never been impressed by any that i've seen to be honest. Not once you start getting to 5.1+

So small progress today.

The Blu-ray drive was the wrong color... so, got that masked off and... corrected.

DSCN2871.JPG

DSCN2872.JPG

DSCN2875.JPG

DSCN2876.JPG

Time to put the first radiator in possition.

DSCN2879.JPG

Snug!

DSCN2881.JPG

And the front fans, just lining them up to see how it looks and and space they take internally. Strangely, Case Labs put some anti-vibration rubbers on these fan mounts, the problem is, when you slot them into possition, they are then offset from the front panel, which looks naff. Bit of poor design by them there.

DSCN2882.JPG

At this point, with so much black im wondering if I should forget the red, and just go for an entirely black build?!

lol ... you could get some red ear defenders (how may fans?!! :eek:)

:) Yet strangely enough, these fans will be quieter than almost every other PC out there. The reason theres so many on such big radiators is they will be spinning at a level so quiet you could sleep with it on.

So today was a bit of a heartstopper. Removing the white heatspreaders on the RAM ready for the watercooling blocks.

I opted for the credit card method opposed to the normal screwdriver method.

Normally, removing heatspreaders held on by adheasive require, 2, maybe 3 cards in my experience, but these teamgroup sticks.... needed 10, the adheasive they used was absolutely brutal, even after heating with a hairdryer...

DSCN2884.JPG

One side off, now the other....

DSCN2886.JPG

Invalid warrenty anyone?

DSCN2885.JPG

8 memory sticks later

DSCN2896.JPG

DSCN2898.JPG

Finally in the system and checked for immediate post errors, fortunately, passed.

DSCN2899.JPG

Top Bottom