Profile posts - what's the point?

Stuart Wright

What is the point of profile posts?
They tend to get confused with private messages and lots of people share private personal information on them (such as name, address and phone number).
I have never used them and don't understand their purpose.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.

i am guessing it is supposed to be like a social media aspect....although something about it feels like a disconnected place i wont tend to go...i know you can search profile posts or check the whats new page and view a list of every single 'like' thrown in the mix...not sure what they could improve about it exactly, but i understand your sentiment...

regards

Would be a cool feature if it had some sort of wall like FB and you can see the profile posts of ppl you follow

If we had this, my fans would actually sign up and participate.

I can't get anyone to sign up. Literally, no one.

No one will leave social media unless it mimics social media. They are stuck in the mindset.

It's a Facebook wall without wall features. Which is kinda pointless. Having these features would help:

An argument can be made for the sharing of posts to your profile, as that would make profile posts more interesting. But it would also rival with bookmarks. So I have not posted a suggestion for that yet.

Having stickers could also liven up profiles.

And these would also be nice to make profiles more interesting:

And this one:

My ideal profile post is:

1) Only the profile owner can start a new thread, it's his profile after all.
2) The profile owner can choose whether or not to display any replies/comments by other people by default

Otherwise it's like a private backyard opened to public.

Yes I dont like them either.
Only a few of my members have used them, to talk to another member.
They can use personal conversations (messages) for that.
I was on another forum as a member, and I used to see some, but never saw the point of them

I think I might turn the option off, its one less thing to think about.

It's a throwback feature to forums of old.

Used to be like the "Update your Status" kind of thing, before User Titles took over.

It is funny on boards its enabled on though to see people treat it like Conversations, and then get caught out when they've shared something they shouldn't have (like a highly racist/bigoted view on something) and yet take the morale high road elsewhere..

It's a throwback feature to forums of old.

It's more like a stripped-down modern feature. On FB you can post from your page and everyone sees it. On XF it gets lost, and you can't even upload an attachment.

I wish it had: Attachments and better integration.

It's more like a stripped-down modern feature. On FB you can post from your page and everyone sees it. On XF it gets lost, and you can't even upload an attachment.

I wish it had: Attachments and better integration.
I think it's biggest problem lies in that it's largely hidden away and hence tougher to moderate.

Seems to get used a lot by spammers if they sign up (as well as Conversations).

Top Bottom