Problm with forum permissions

mrGTB

Before doing the upgrade to Beta 4. I have one forum called "News Information" and I have changed permission for the "Members User-group" to not start new threads. That was the only user-group altered and one permission changed only to "Revoke".

But I've just spotted as "Admin" I cannot post on that forum anymore like before, it says I don't have sufficient privileges. So I went and removed custom permission for "Members User-group" so all was default (nothing changed). As Admin I could then post on that forum, but when going back into permission and changing "Member User-group" to revoke starting new threads. It's also effected me as Admin not being able to start new threads also. But I have not touched admin permissions.

User permissions are based on all groups they are a member of.
You must be a member of the group for which you are revoking the permissions if you are being affected by changes made to that group.

I've moved the thread from bugs to troubleshooting until/if a bug is confirmed.

You've lost me here. You have 4 default user-groups "Administrative, Moderating, Registered, Unregistered /Unconfirmed". As you can see from the picture below, the only user-group I have changed permission for is "Registered" on the News Information" forum, I only changed Start New Threads to Revoke. All other user-groups have been left as is inheriting permission from their respective main user-group settings.

So looking at that below, Admin should still be able to start new threads inherited from the main usergroup permissions. Nothing has been revoked.

01.webp

Keep in mind that this was working fine the way I expected before upgrading to Beta 4 just now. Members could not start new threads, while Admin and Moderators could. Nothing was changed permission wise before or after the upgrade. Yet, all of a sudden I cannot start new threads on that forum unless I remove all custom permissions for every user-group for that forum. But If I then go back and do the same, revoke "start new threads" for only "Registered Usergroup" I cannot post on that forum as Admin.

If your user is a member of both Registered and Admin then you need to revoke for Registered and allow for Admin. Revoke is subtractive in the absence of an explicit allow elsewhere in the Node Permissions.

So are you saying that "Administrative" by default is a member of two different user-groups. Because I can tell you I've changed nothing with Administrative permissions for that main user-group setting.

If you want access to check my forum let me know, have a look yourself. I'll give you the Username and Password required to login as me (admin)

So how comes then when running Beta 3. I had the same permission settings in place, yet things was very different? Why wasn't I as Admin revoked access then to post on that forum before. What I'm saying here is that I've changed nothing on doing the upgrade to Beta 4 from Beta 3 - yet permission allowing me to post on that forum has suddenly changed.

I have no explanation for the claimed difference between beta3 and beta4. But I do know that you need to explicitly allow access for Admins in the Node Permissions, otherwise the revoked Registered group will make it so you can't post.

OK, I've just carried out the same Upgrade from Beta 3 to Beta 4 (same duplicate copy) of forum using WampServer. After the upgrade permissions are OK. I can still post as admin on that forum. So this is related to the LIVE site only after the upgrade.

Your permissions must be different on your live site.

I haven't seen a single report to date of permissions changing after an upgrade.

Sorry, my mistake then. Hold that thought. I'm going to have to look at what I'm doing wrong here. I just checked my localhost install and spotted I have not set any permissions for that forum category and forums in it. I just changed Members Usergroup to not start new threads and the same issue has popped up. So I'm doing something wrong here, but it's odd how this wasn't happening before using Beta 3 the same way?

The only thing I changed before the upgrade, was I added that session line of code to my "config.php" file Kier said add to save on 2 queries. Seeing as I use FILECACHE on both Wamp and my Live site. I also deleted this folder: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-1-0-beta-4-released.22207/#post-278982

Could this have anything to do with my problem, look at the picture. I see 3 user-groups show titles against the name (highlighted in yellow). Yet registered shows none. Or is that normal as expected for that group, they show no title?

03.webp

I think I've found the problem and can now post on that forum. I just looked at my own account settings and this is what I saw. As admin I'm in the registered group marked as being in Admin and Mod as secondary groups. But I just changed that so the primary group I'm in is (Admin) and un-ticked both secondary groups.

I've never changed that settings page for my own account before (ever). So if that's wrong and I should not have been marked-up like that. That must have happened during the upgrade then.

04.webp

As admin I'm in the registered group marked as being in Admin and Mod as secondary groups. But I just changed that so the primary group I'm in is (Admin) and un-ticked both secondary groups.

Admins are primary members of Registered by default. That is normal. Primary and secondary groups are functionally identical. Swapping the primary / secondary groups around will make no difference in your permissions.

Have you set an explicit allow for the Admin group yet?

Admin CP -> Applications -> Display Node Tree -> Permissions -> Adminstrative

An explicit allow for the Admin group is necessary to override the revoke you set for Registered.

So your saying I should put things back again as they was, with Admin (me) listed as being Registered (primary group), with admin and mod ticked as secondary groups for my account. Then go into the forum node permissions and set custom permission for admin group to start new threads and so on, instead of leaving them all as being inherited (no changes made).

If that's the case? When you make a member a moderator, do you leave the primary group as is (registered) and just tick moderator for the secondary group they are in. or do you change their primary group from registered to moderator and leave secondary groups still unticked.

So your saying I should put things back again as they was, with Admin (me) listed as being Registered (primary group), with admin and mod ticked as secondary groups for my account. Then go into the forum node permissions and set custom permission for admin group to start new threads and so on, instead of leaving them all as being inherited (no changes made).

If that's the case? When you make a member a moderator, do you leave the primary group as is (registered) and just tick moderator for the secondary group they are in. or do you change their primary group from registered to moderator and leave secondary groups still unticked.
It's best to leave everyone's primary group as registered...and then just tag on secondary groups for everything else.

So an obvious question then, sorry I don't mean to rant on here. :confused:

Why then do you have different primary groups to choose from, if you saying a member (no matter what they rank as). Should always be left as registered group for primary? What's the point then of having different primary groups to pick from?

Top Bottom