Problm with forum permissions

mrGTB

Before doing the upgrade to Beta 4. I have one forum called "News Information" and I have changed permission for the "Members User-group" to not start new threads. That was the only user-group altered and one permission changed only to "Revoke".

But I've just spotted as "Admin" I cannot post on that forum anymore like before, it says I don't have sufficient privileges. So I went and removed custom permission for "Members User-group" so all was default (nothing changed). As Admin I could then post on that forum, but when going back into permission and changing "Member User-group" to revoke starting new threads. It's also effected me as Admin not being able to start new threads also. But I have not touched admin permissions.

OK, fair enough. I will have to spend some time reading that permission manual. I've been treating the permission system the same way I would when using vBulletin 3 of old, that admins go in admin group and not "members group" as primary. Obviously I was wrong in not knowing that XenForo works slightly differently with permissions.

Permissions are cumulative.

Set the Registered user group to the permissions you want ALL members to have and build on that with other groups.

So if only some groups are allowed to have a signature for example, set it to Not Set (No) for the Registered group and then set it to Allow for the other groups as required.

So your saying I should put things back again as they was, with Admin (me) listed as being Registered (primary group), with admin and mod ticked as secondary groups for my account. Then go into the forum node permissions and set custom permission for admin group to start new threads and so on, instead of leaving them all as being inherited (no changes made).

Correct. That is because inheritance is trumped by the explicit revoke.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/understanding-permissions.5830/

Permission Math

Pay special attention to the Revoke ones:

Inherited Allow + Revoke = Overall No

Allow + Revoke = Overall Yes

Only an explicit Allow (as opposed to an inherited Allow) can override a Revoke. A Revoke is designed to trump inherited access and reduce a user's permissions unless you explicitly Allow (no inheritance) that permission elsewhere in the Node Permissions (e.g. for one of the user's other groups).

I've just been playing around and I'm understanding how it all works better. At first I had it all wrong completely because I was in that vBulletin mindset with permissions and how they are setup. Which is very similar to MyBB I was using also. What threw me was the fact no matter what rank they are, the primary user-group stays as Registered, then secondary user-groups are used to build upon that with higher rankings Mods, Admins e.t.c.

And if you change permission for Registered on forums (nodes), you have to override that for admin and mods using secondary permissions by changing them to still allow what the registered got revoked so they can still post e.t.c.

All a bit confusing at first I thought though, but then that's me.

Yeah it's different. vBulletin's permissions are additive. XenForo's permissions can be additive and subtractive. In vBulletin, that inherited allow would have overridden the explicit revoke.

All users start in the Registered user group as the Primary.

That happens during registration.

The system has been designed that way.

http://xenforo.com/help/user-groups/
http://xenforo.com/help/permissions/

Ok, we understand all that except for one problem. We'd like to change the "Default" user group assigned to people that have just signed up from "Registered" (Member, on our forums atm.)..........

Xenforousergroupsample.jpg

to "Applicant" as seen here:

Xenforousergroupsample1.png

However, we have found no way to change the Default tag given to folks that register. We're just trying to add a layer of security until we're sure these people "are good for us" and have gone through our interview and expectation process.

LOL....thanks for the always quick response Brogan!! We had thought of that but than wondered if there wasn't an easier way, but it seems this probably is the one that makes the most sense.

Thanks again!

Can we do this by just renaming the User group? Or are the User Group Promotions absolutely necessary? I ask this because currently, we have no User Group Promotions and would have to create them.

I apologize but we're very new at this and are trying our best to understand what we can do.

:D

By clicking on the User Group drop down menu. We only do that for either Applicant or Member. We check the boxes below for the secondary user groups.

We'd really like it to default to applicant, and be automated at that. I've been reading up on the User Group Promotions, but I'm not quite sure what exactly we should be doing to create one.

Apply the criteria to the promotion which you currently use when doing it manually; whether that be days registered, number of posts, etc.

Top Bottom