Fixed Problems uploading videos in .mp4 format

viglesias

Affected version
xenforo 2.2.8
Hello,

I have problems uploading videos in .mp4 format which are usually videos downloaded from twitts from x.com.

I have read several options and it has not worked but I always have to convert the videos to .mov so that they can be uploaded and viewed, but some forum users do not know how to do this....

is there any solution for this? attached screenshot where it always shows the same error: The uploaded file is not a video as expected or in its Spanish version: "El archivo subido no es un vídeo como se esperaba."

mp4-xenforo_2.2.8-Incidencias.webp

Can you reproduce this here? I've just tried uploading an MP4 downloaded from Twitter and it worked just fine. It might also be helpful if you can provide a copy of a file that does not work (uploaded elsewhere or in a zip or something if necessary).

Can you reproduce this here? I've just tried uploading an MP4 downloaded from Twitter and it worked just fine. It might also be helpful if you can provide a copy of a file that does not work (uploaded elsewhere or in a zip or something if necessary).
No, the mp4 upload does not work here either.

xenforo-soporte-oficial-no-work.webp

How was it downloaded? Using yt-dlp to grab from a video from a Twitter post and upload it here worked fine for me. Unfortunately without being able to reproduce the problem we won’t be able to figure out what’s going wrong.

It may ultimately be down to an unsupported codec (MP4 is only a container format).

Repeating myself :)

Would it make sense to whitelist all brands from http://mp4ra.org/#/brands ?
Or log unknown ftyp in error log?
That would at least make it easier to support users.
and
Ideally, it should be possible to configure additional types (via config.php) so it is not necessary to patch (or extend the class and overwrite the whole method method getSupportedMp4Ftypes) just to add a new type.

Last edited:
That does sound strange. I've encountered a similar issue before, not with the forum itself, but with the video format. I tried to upload a video to a forum, and it just wouldn't accept it. Turns out, the issue was with the size of the video, not the format.

Now, after a few tries I have updates: Once I resized it, everything worked fine. I used a video editor called Movavi, which was pretty handy for resizing and even cropping the video to the dimensions the forum preferred. It might be worth a shot to check if the size of your video is the issue and adjust it accordingly.

Top Bottom