XF 1.3 Problems Updating to XenForo 1.3.1

Amaury

Our owner, @Sean Bagby, has hit his first updating bump when trying to update us from XenForo 1.3.0 to XenForo 1.3.1.

He is presented with this message:

No Upgrade Available

You are already running the current version (1.3.0). To do a fresh install, click here.

I extracted 1.3.1 to my public_html folder like three times and it still would recognize the update.=/

And is that where the forum is located? If it isn't, of course there isn't an update.

Have you tried downloading the 1.3.1 upgrade again? You may be using the 1.3.0 package by accident.

You would know if you were using any, either that or check with your host.

Have you had any issues with upgrades in the past?

He's not online right now on Skype, so we'll have to wait for him to be on again, but I can answer this question for him: This is the first time we've had problems updating.

The issue was a misunderstanding. I believe that Sean thought the zipped folders needed to be uploaded to the servers and the files either weren't extracting correctly or just weren't extracting. XenForo didn't detect an upgrade because the files weren't overwritten to allow an upgrade.

For clarification:

1. Download the upgrade.
2. Extract files to your desktop.
3. Open the newly extracted folder.
4. Open the upload folder.
5. Select all folders/files within the upload folder.
6. Drag/upload files to your forum's root directory, in this case 'public_html'.
7. Ensure all necessary files were overwritten correctly.
8. Initialize the upgrade process.

This is the method I use and it has yet to fail me. It might not be the optimal way to upload/upgrade your forum but it works. Perhaps when telling someone to just extract the folder to the server a little more detail could be used.

Thank you,
Nights

The installation and upgrade instructions are pretty clear on this matter.
Unzip the file that you downloaded in step 1 and you will see an upload directory within it.
https://xenforo.com/help/installation/
https://xenforo.com/help/upgrades/

Installation
Unzip the file that you downloaded in step 1 and you will see an upload directory within it.

Upload the contents of this directory to into the directory you just created on your server. This can usually be done by dragging the contents of the folder (including all sub-folders) into the server's window in your FTP client.

Upgrade

Upload the contents of this directory to your server, over top of your existing XenForo files. This can often be done by dragging the contents of the folder (including all sub-folders) into the server's window in your FTP client.

In both cases, it says to unzip on your computer and then upload the contents of the upload directory to the server.

Seems pretty clear to me.

If he's been told to upload the zip file from Xenforo, then whoever told him this is incorrect.

If you use SSH or even cPanel, uploading the .zip and then extracting the files on the server is perfectly valid, much, much quicker and less prone to error due to missing/corrupt files.
I meant uploading and simply extracting without putting them in the correct location - unzipping as is will leave them in the upload folder.

I do upload a zip file of the contents of the upload folder to my root and then extract that using Ssh, which is indeed much quicker and easier.

Thanks, guys.

Considering we didn't have any problems updating from XenForo 1.2.4 to XenForo 1.2.5 and XenForo 1.2.5 to XenForo 1.3.0, I think Sean was just making a mistake somewhere this time. He told me he wasn't thinking straight the other day.

you guys just helped me figure out wut I did wrong, what I did was I extracted the upload folder to the root of my server but I don't think I extracted the contents of the upload folder correctly.=/

Top Bottom