1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Problems Updating to XenForo 1.3.1

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Amaury, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Our owner, @Sean Bagby, has hit his first updating bump when trying to update us from XenForo 1.3.0 to XenForo 1.3.1.

He is presented with this message:

2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

This sounds like he's either uploaded 1.3.0 upgrade or he has uploaded 1.3.1 upgrade to the wrong location.
  3. Sean B.

Sean B. Active Member

I extracted 1.3.1 to my public_html folder like three times and it still would recognize the update.=/
  4. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

And is that where the forum is located? If it isn't, of course there isn't an update.

Have you tried downloading the 1.3.1 upgrade again? You may be using the 1.3.0 package by accident.
  5. Sean B.

Sean B. Active Member

yes it is and yes I tried that too, but to no avail.
  6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Are you using any caching of any sort on your site?
  7. Sean B.

Sean B. Active Member

not really sure, how would I check that?
  8. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

You would know if you were using any, either that or check with your host.

Have you had any issues with upgrades in the past?
  9. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Download the 1.3.1 upgrade again and re-try the upload and upgrade. There may have been some corruption to the package along the way.
  10. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

He's not online right now on Skype, so we'll have to wait for him to be on again, but I can answer this question for him: This is the first time we've had problems updating.
  11. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

@Nights was able to update us without problems.

There are two almost identical folders:
    • public_html
    • public_html/

Sean might have been putting the files into the latter by mistake.
  12. Nights

Nights Member

The issue was a misunderstanding. I believe that Sean thought the zipped folders needed to be uploaded to the servers and the files either weren't extracting correctly or just weren't extracting. XenForo didn't detect an upgrade because the files weren't overwritten to allow an upgrade.

For clarification:

1. Download the upgrade.
    2. Extract files to your desktop.
    3. Open the newly extracted folder.
    4. Open the upload folder.
    5. Select all folders/files within the upload folder.
    6. Drag/upload files to your forum's root directory, in this case 'public_html'.
    7. Ensure all necessary files were overwritten correctly.
    8. Initialize the upgrade process.

This is the method I use and it has yet to fail me. It might not be the optimal way to upload/upgrade your forum but it works. Perhaps when telling someone to just extract the folder to the server a little more detail could be used.

Thank you,
    Amaury likes this.
  13. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

The installation and upgrade instructions are pretty clear on this matter.
    Unzip the file that you downloaded in step 1 and you will see an upload directory within it.

In both cases, it says to unzip on your computer and then upload the contents of the upload directory to the server.

Seems pretty clear to me.

If he's been told to upload the zip file from Xenforo, then whoever told him this is incorrect.
    Amaury likes this.
  14. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If you use SSH or even cPanel, uploading the .zip and then extracting the files on the server is perfectly valid, much, much quicker and less prone to error due to missing/corrupt files.
    maszd, Tracy Perry and Amaury like this.
  15. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

I meant uploading and simply extracting without putting them in the correct location - unzipping as is will leave them in the upload folder.

I do upload a zip file of the contents of the upload folder to my root and then extract that using Ssh, which is indeed much quicker and easier.
    Amaury likes this.
  16. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys.

Considering we didn't have any problems updating from XenForo 1.2.4 to XenForo 1.2.5 and XenForo 1.2.5 to XenForo 1.3.0, I think Sean was just making a mistake somewhere this time. He told me he wasn't thinking straight the other day.
  17. Sean B.

Sean B. Active Member

you guys just helped me figure out wut I did wrong, what I did was I extracted the upload folder to the root of my server but I don't think I extracted the contents of the upload folder correctly.=/