Not a bug Problem with Greek board names

Salamanca

Affected version
Hi,

There's a problem as it seems, with the conversion of Greek board names with the "Romanize titles in URLs" function

example:
greek word μαθηματικά will be converted to "mathimatik" in the URL.

The problem is with letters with accents. If it was "μαθηματικα" it would be converted fine, but it's totally incorrect not to have accents in Greek language.

Thanks
A.

Generally speaking, we consider Romanization a "best reasonable effort" option, but we can't guarantee that every character from every language may be converted. (The process is essentially a massive map of all the characters that need to be converted. It's a library that we don't commonly apply changes to.)

The context is slightly different, but you can see a discussion of the same issue here:

If this is significant to you, then disabling the Romanization option would be necessary (or making custom changes for your specific needs). It's worth noting that essentially all browsers correctly display non-ASCII characters in the URL so I don't see why Google wouldn't recognize the characters from a search perspective (though the characters would also be in the title and h1 tags on the page as well).

Generally speaking, we consider Romanization a "best reasonable effort" option, but we can't guarantee that every character from every language may be converted. (The process is essentially a massive map of all the characters that need to be converted. It's a library that we don't commonly apply changes to.)

The context is slightly different, but you can see a discussion of the same issue here:

If this is significant to you, then disabling the Romanization option would be necessary (or making custom changes for your specific needs). It's worth noting that essentially all browsers correctly display non-ASCII characters in the URL so I don't see why Google wouldn't recognize the characters from a search perspective (though the characters would also be in the title and h1 tags on the page as well).
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, using non-ascii characters in the URL is a problem for several reasons, it's a not an option of us.
However, if this just an issue with mapping, I can help you with that. It seems that the mapping misses the accented characters like ά ό ή and so on. This can be easily fixed if we just add those characters.
If you want to include this on the next update, then great! If for some reason you dont want to do this, at least let me know where the mapping is so I may fix this for our installation.

Thanks.

Hello,

I would really appreciate it if you can give me directions to find those mappings so that I can update them and include the greek accented characters.

Thanks
Alex

Hello,

I've updated the file, and it works now. The file is at:

\src\vendor\dokuwiki\utf8\utf8.php

The missing ones are:

Code:
// Missing accented Greek
  'ά'=>'a','Ά'=>'A','έ'=>'e','Έ'=>'E','ί'=>'I','Ί'=>'I','ή'=>'i','Ή'=>'I','ύ'=>'y','Ύ'=>'Y','ώ'=>'o','Ώ'=>'O','ό'=>'o','Ό'=>'O',

Top Bottom