XF 1.4 Problem when lifting ban (related to a migration)

imthebest

Hi,

My forum is a migration from vBulletin 3.8 and it was configured to move banned members to a specific usergroup called "Banned members".

Well, after the migration I configured XenForo to add banned members to a specific usergroup called also "Banned members" (the usergroup imported from vBulletin). Then I mass assigned (IIRC) the "Banned" status to all the members that belong to the "Banned members usergroup" (so those banned members from vBulletin instead of being part of the regular members usergroup and having the banned usergroup as secondary usergroup, now have the banned usergroup as their primary and only usergroup).

Today I lifted the ban of a member who got banned in vBulletin. His status of "Banned" got changed from "Yes" to "No" however he is still part of the banned members usergroup. I understand that this is expected because of the bold part in my previous paragraph.

The question is: should XenForo detect this scenario and move the member back to the regular members usergroup as part of the unban process? The usergroup is defined at admin.php?options/list/discourager as "Add User Group on Ban".

If this isn't possible, I guess that the best thing I can do is to mass move all those members that belong to the banned usergroup to the registered members, plus adding them to the banned usergroup as their secondary usergroup without touching their "Banned" status, right?

Thanks,
Super120

I would note that even if you switch to the more XF-like group usage, XF still isn't going to move the users back because XF wasn't the one to programmatically trigger the group change (and thus has no idea it was applied automatically).

So in other words if a member is currently set as:

Primary usergroup: banned members
Secondary usergroup: N/A

And then I change him to:

Primary usergroup: registered members
Secondary usergroup: banned members

And then I lift the ban, XenForo will change the status of Banned from Yes to No but isn't going to remove the member from the banned members secondary usergroup?

XF will only ever undo a user group change that it did itself. When you ban someone and have the system add them to a group, we log the group that was added. When the ban is removed, only that group would be removed.

So since none of these group changes involved XF, XF has no knowledge of them.

Top Bottom