Lack of interest Private nodes & admins

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Ryan Kent

Suggestion, disable the ability to hide a node from site admins / super-admins.

I think the admin, or at the least the super admin, role means they should have visibility to 100% of the site. Presently admins cannot see hidden nodes unless they are given permissions.

Presently an admin can create a private node, and no one else, including the other admins, would have any awareness unless they specifically went into the node tree and looked. Even then, on large sites this could easily be missed.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Suggestion, disable the ability to hide a node from site admins / super-admins.

I think the admin, or at the least the super admin, role means they should have visibility to 100% of the site. Presently admins cannot see hidden nodes unless they are given permissions.

Presently an admin can create a private node, and no one else, including the other admins, would have any awareness unless they specifically went into the node tree and looked. Even then, on large sites this could easily be missed.

I prefer the way it is. An administrator admins the site, ie making sure it is operational and should not get full access to stuff unless they explicity grant it to themselves.

I also prefer the way it is. I had this debate on another thread and feel an admins role doesn't necessarily mean they have access to the whole site or it's privileges.

I also prefer the way it is. I had this debate on another thread and feel an admins role doesn't necessarily mean they have access to the whole site or it's privileges.

Exactly my point. The admin should be responsible for the low level stuff, be it the OS or the application, any higher privileges (within the app) should be controlled by someone else from within the application. This works very similar to a Bank payment system we use at work, the administrator can reset passwords and create users but they have NO privileges to transfer funds from the Company Bank account, only other users with that privilege can do that (along with a smartcard).

Indeed.

We have admins who have access to certain areas of the ACP but that doesn't mean they should also have access to private nodes.

Indeed.

We have admins who have access to certain areas of the ACP but that doesn't mean they should also have access to private nodes.

I think once people grasp that administrators roles spans and normally spans across a shorter spectrum than most people realise the better. I'm primarily just repeating what I have said in another related topic where people think admin permissions should be a permission of "Access all areas" when in reality it doesn't/shouldn't. Moderators have their specific duties, admins as I see it are no exception from that rule and they are assigned to specific roles. In short, I really hope xenforo doesn't reverse this, this (as stated in the other thread) a case of forward thinking, planning from the devs part which I 100% agree with and think the benefits of setting those unique permissions is far better than admins having access to anything and everything.

Thank you for sharing your view points. I understand your position and can see the value in keeping the current system for admins.

Just curious if you feel the same way with respect to Super Admins?

Top Bottom