XF 1.3 Private Forum Question

konakid

I think I know the answer to this is "no," but wanted to confirm because I would really like it to be "yes."

I had a "Private" password protected forum on vB. It could be seen by everyone, and stated that you needed to ask for a password to be admitted. It was for those who wanted to discuss more controversial topics, and not so heavily moderated for language, etc.

I know I can make a forum Private (viewing and posting if granted permissions only) forum - but then nobody even knows it is there to ask for permission.

What is the easiest way to show a forum is Private to everyone, yet easily allow those who ask for special permission? Is that possible?

Last edited:
You can dissallow viewing topics and creating topics for normal people, and add people to a user group with permission to create topics and view topics in that forum.

You could have a notice on the forum to tell people this.

Or I have an addon in the resource manager for password protected nodes.

Liam,

Would your solution also apply to allowing a specific user the ability to manage promotions to a usergroup? I would like to give a few entities their own forum to manage who is permitted and moderation of all aspects of that forum. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to give the moderator the ability to promote into the usergroup.

thanks for the help.

Liam,

Would your solution also apply to allowing a specific user the ability to manage promotions to a usergroup? I would like to give a few entities their own forum to manage who is permitted and moderation of all aspects of that forum. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to give the moderator the ability to promote into the usergroup.

thanks for the help.

Only admins can change user data, such as user groups.

Liam,

thanks for the help.
Would not this add-on work for what you are needing to do?
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/nobita-social-groups-teams.2875/

Top Bottom