private forum blues

Morgain

I keep having problems with the Private forum setup.
I tick private forum, then I go to the admin usergroup and one other, give them view/ read/ post permissions.
But when I go to that forum I'm getting the "not enough privileges" error.

I have in the past made it work by adding users one by one individually but that's a pain.
Ive also in desperation created a forum as private by laboriously going through all OTHER usergroup and barring their access a node. Thats a BIG pain.

Surely it's possible to a) make a forum Private then b) open it to one or more usergroups?

[EDIT] This is crazy. Just to get access to it I unticked the Private forum box.
My admins group is specifically set to View node/ read/ post etc etc -plus I also belong to the 2nd usergroup which is all ticked for active participation - yet I STILL only see the node and not its contents.

ddgdf.webpnodePerms.webp
if you have the node private, and you set any group to 'view node: allow' they will see it.

Unless you have an addon that is messing with the permissions I dont see what could be the problem

View attachment 40228View attachment 40229
if you have the node private, and you set any group to 'view node: allow' they will see it.

Unless you have an addon that is messing with the permissions I dont see what could be the problem

EQ thank you. No I have no addon that works on permissions.

If I set a forum to Private I cannot get access to it unless I add a user by name.

Currently I can view the node but not its contents.
It cant be some kind of red NO or it would affect access elsewhere. (In fact I only use NO for barring user custom titles.)
It's not on the Category because other nodes in the same Category are accessible.
The usergroups I want to allow access are mine (admin) and my senior helpers (Elders) who have all YES on ordinary forum stuff.

I think I need someone to check this mess for me - Jaaaaake Slaaaaavik ?
It's been going on ages and I need it sorted.

EQ thank you. No I have no addon that works on permissions.

If I set a forum to Private I cannot get access to it unless I add a user by name.

Currently I can view the node but not its contents.
It cant be some kind of red NO or it would affect access elsewhere. (In fact I only use NO for barring user custom titles.)
It's not on the Category because other nodes in the same Category are accessible.
The usergroups I want to allow access are mine (admin) and my senior helpers (Elders) who have all YES on ordinary forum stuff.

I think I need someone to check this mess for me - Jaaaaake Slaaaaavik ?
It's been going on ages and I need it sorted.
why not just create another user group whos only purpose is to see those nodes that are private and just add admins and helpers to that group as a secondary?

why not just create another user group whos only purpose is to see those nodes that are private and just add admins and helpers to that group as a secondary?

I have exactly that! I'm trying to give access to THAT group to one category which is their area - currently has one forum but would prefer whatever is in it to inherit permissions so I can just treat the whole bundle as private to that group.
there's one other forum in a different category where I want people to see it exists, the shell. But only this group should actively read content and post.

I just tried again. This time my Elders can get in the "Private" Category and forum in it.
But when I log in as another user/ another group I got in it too! Yet that group under that so-called Private forum shows as grey, not green.
I really dont want to gop through every OTHER group doing Revoke on them every time I put something in that private category. Sigh. Thats what Ive done. Droop.

That's odd. Private forum set-up is a three step process for me and works reliably every time as per EQnoble's post.

1. Create a new forum and tick that it's private.
2. Create a new secondary usergroup just to add members to for access to that forum, setting permissions to view node "allow" only for that usergroup for that forum (everything else is left default or inherited)
3. Add users to that additional usergroup.

Admins and mods don't have access of course unless they too are added to that secondary usergroup.

I can only assume your own requirements are slightly more complicated than this, perhaps trying to retrospectively add access to private forums to existing usergroups? I've only ever done it the way above, with one new usergroup for every private forum and then just add users to that group, it keeps it simple then to have any permutation of access for multiple forums for each user just by ticking boxes.

I added myself and one other admin to that usergroup yes
The only thing that usergoup does apart from access to 2 nodes is it controls their title display.

EQ I'd be very grateful if you would look. I'll PC you.

Top Bottom