Private Conversation: user did not receive e-mail-notification

erich37

one of my users just told me that he did not receive a notification via E-Mail regarding a "Private Conversation".
I have checked this users Privacy-settings in ACP, but do not see any wrong settings there.

Any idea why the user did not receive an e-mail regarding a new answer posted within a Private Conversation with him ?

This has been working fine at my website previously, but it seems something has changed..... ?

It has most likely been flagged as spam.
Tell him to check the spam folder.

I just checked this with my user and the "notification e-mails" also did not land in his Spam-folder.
I just checked and I also did not recive any e-mail-notification when I receive a "Private Conversation" from this user.

'This issue seems to have occured since I have upgraded my website from a previous RC-version to the stable 1.0.0 version , as I just checked the dates from the Conversations and the software-upgrade.

If other board-related emails are being sent and received then this is not a XenForo software issue, it will be to do with your account settings related to emails for conversations, your server, host, mail account, or mails being flagged as spam.

Check each of those in turn, speak to your host if you're not sure how to check your mail account.

it works for me to receive the e-mail-notification, it just does not work for that user.

how do I check in ACP whether a certain user has activated the following checkbox:

Receive email when a new conversation message is received

I can not find this checkbox on user-profiles from within the ACP.

Is the checkbox named "Receive site mailings" meant for the "Newsletter" or for "e-mail notifications" or both ?

You can only check that in the database by looking in the xf_user-option table.
If the email_on_conversation field has a 1 then that user has opted to receive emails.

that should be put into "User Privacy Options" within ACP for a specific user.

why do we see in ACP if the user accepts receiving the Newsletter, but we do not see whether the user accepts to receive "E-mail notifications" on Private Conversations.
Looks like this option has been missed to be included in ACP.

Could you please add this to the suggestions-forum ?

Thanks!

has there been any change in the XF-code (at version XF 1.0.0.) regarding whether the user receives "e-mail notifications" ?
my user has set his Profile to be only visible to registered members. Not sure if this is related to receiving mails or not.
the user has in fact activated the option for "Receive email when a new conversation message is received"

it is working fine on my end, so meaning I do receive e-mail-notifications when this user replys to my PM.
But the other user does not get an email-notification. he reports that there is also no mail in his spam-folder.

Have you checked to make sure your I.P isn't blacklisted? You could also check your mail logs, if you have access to WHM, it'll tell you the e-mails that were blocked by the e-mail provider(hotmail, yahoo, etc)

the strange thing is that the e-mail with the "activation link" on sign-up is being send to the user with a Gmail-account without any issue.

Just the notification e-mail on "Private Conversations" is not being sent to the Gmail-address of the user......

what could be the reason for this odd issue ?

I have checked this with several different user accounts, new user accounts, old user accounts, several different mail clients, contacted my host, several tests, etc.:

I can confirm the following now:
when I go to the user´s profile in ACP and save the user-profile once again, then the mail-notifications are starting to working again.

Not sure but it seems to me this is indeed related to XF-software.

Email stuff is a pita.

Are you able to reproduce this problem at will? If you can provide step-by-step instructions to reproduce the problem with a new user then I can try to confirm the problem on my own forum. Otherwise we are reduced to speculating as to the cause.

You should also check the mail logs on your server as Ray suggested. The logs will have a record of all outgoing emails so you can know for sure if an email is being sent.

This happens only in private conversations? If so, very strange but if the user can't get any mails from you, check if the user is using a yahoo mail. Yahoo blocks almost all emails nowadays :D

Email stuff is a pita.

Are you able to reproduce this problem at will? If you can provide step-by-step instructions to reproduce the problem with a new user then I can try to confirm the problem on my own forum. Otherwise we are reduced to speculating as to the cause.

You should also check the mail logs on your server as Ray suggested. The logs will have a record of all outgoing emails so you can know for sure if an email is being sent.

I checked with my hosting-provider and he said the "e-mail" to a specific user was never "initiated" as per the log-files.
The issue was with old users already registered. When I created a new user-profile this problem did not occur.
So what I did is clicking onto "Save User" in ACP and the "notification mail" got being send to the specific user for which I "saved" his profile again in ACP.

The issue occured with Gmail and GMX-accounts.

So "Save User" in ACP is triggering something which makes "notification e-mails" working again. What is it what "Save User" is doing and how does it relate to "notification e-mails" being send or not ?

Looks like a XF-bug to me.

Just had a user write me a PM - saying they have "receive email notifications to thread replies" - checked. So, they'd get emails if anyone replied. There were numerous thread replies, and they received no emails. I went into the admincp to see if they had things checked right, but I also don't see a way to view their email settings.

Seeing as how this user has been on forums for ages, I'll trust they have it check-marked properly. He received his signup email without issue, but nothing on thread replies.

I have emails checked for PM's, and I can confirm that I at least receive emails on my end if any new messages come through. It seems like you should be able to see the settings for email notifications under the user in the admincp. I'll look though whm to see if I can see anything

Just had a user write me a PM - saying they have "receive email notifications to thread replies" - checked. So, they'd get emails if anyone replied. There were numerous thread replies, and they received no emails. I went into the admincp to see if they had things checked right, but I also don't see a way to view their email settings.

Seeing as how this user has been on forums for ages, I'll trust they have it check-marked properly. He received his signup email without issue, but nothing on thread replies.

I have emails checked for PM's, and I can confirm that I at least receive emails on my end if any new messages come through. It seems like you should be able to see the settings for email notifications under the user in the admincp. I'll look though whm to see if I can see anything

try this:

go in ACP to the certain user who has this issue and click onto the button "Save User".

Then test again with this user whether it is working.

Top Bottom