Fixed  Privacy Settings / All Visitors ?

erich37

People Who May...Start personal conversations with you:

Drop-Down Select-Box says:

- All Visitors
- Members Only
- People You Follow Only

So how can "Visitors" (I assume visitors are people who are not yet registered members at the website) start a personal conversation with me ?

Are you saying that people who are not yet signed-up at the website (Visitors) can start a personal conversation with me ?

Same goes for: "People Who May.........Post messages on your profile page:"

hmmm.... now as you mention it, am not sure whether this is a bug or intended behaviour.
Need to test it......tomorrow.

It's really just for consistency. There isn't really a difference between members and everyone when the action requires registration.

It would be really great if you could clarify this. It will definitely confuse our members, and I will need to keep answering questions over and over.

It appears that anyone in the world, even non-members, or even non-humans, could start a PC.

It would be really great if you could clarify this. It will definitely confuse our members, and I will need to keep answering questions over and over.

It appears that anyone in the world, even non-members, or even non-humans, could start a PC.

That's how I interpreted it.

I think the context is meant to mean: both members and your followers, though they are not mutually-exclusive.
No, it seems clear to me, though not to my members
Under Contact Details, Messaging Preferences:
Accept conversations from...
  • Checked/unchecked = enabled/disabled
  • Everyone = Logged in Members
  • Members = Logged in Members
  • followers = people you are following (only)
Which at first glance seems to be a total of 6+ combinations available.

I removed the 'Everyone' option for this, and other things that made no sense to my members, out of the templates. I also removed almost all of the redundant settings (things that could be set in multiple screens) - example: these options cannot be set in in Privacy Settings on my forum, only Contact Details. Ideally it could be set up like this, a simple drop down menu with 3 options:
  • Members
  • Followers
  • No One

Ideally it could be set up like this, a simple drop down menu with 3 options:
  • Members
  • Followers
  • No One
The use of 'followers' is incorrect. The setting does not refer to your followers at all, it refers to people you follow.

I've updated the code to properly reflect those actions that are not in fact available to 'all members', regardless of permissions etc. namely posting on profile pages and starting new personal conversations.

Top Bottom