Lack of interest [privacy] Email parsed to image

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
F

Floris

I have no problem disclosing my google talk or other details, but it would be nice if those where it is an email that is disclosed to the public (though by choice) is rendered via gd to an image.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I have no problem disclosing my google talk or other details, but it would be nice if those where it is an email that is disclosed to the public (though by choice) is rendered via gd to an image.

Agreed or maybe using other obscuring methods, as though images are great to hindering bots it also makes userbility a pain... It would be good if the email addresses are then called via ajax after page load and replaced with plain text.

This would mean that those with javascript would be able to just copy and paste the email address into their client expecially on mobile devices this really helps userbility

I have bad eye sight myself, like .. bad, so I am not dishing on accessibility, but .. they are a rare occurrence in a web site, vs constant spam bots. I chose to fight spam.

Perhaps have it parse to image for guests and users below X posts, and then above that have it stay as plain text?

If you're parsing to an image don't bother wrapping it in a conditional (IMO). Guests and members alike should be able to read an image no problem.

If you're parsing to an image don't bother wrapping it in a conditional (IMO). Guests and members alike should be able to read an image no problem.

I disagree, I think putting text in images is a pain to copy etc... Expecially on a mobile device, if I say was looking at Floris profile on my phone and wanted to add him to gtalk it would be so much hard work I wouldn't bother if it was an image... I think conditionals should work nicely... or a mixture of image and AJAX callbacks to replace the image with the actual link etc. (though this could be gamed by bots so would still need a guest/member/postcount setting)..

For copying, yeah I get what you mean... I didn't consider that - thanks Ceri... perhaps a conditional would be useful then!

:)

http://www.secondversion.com/scripts/email.php

The bbcode seems to mess it up, so add ?email= at the end

PHP:
<?php

header('Content-type: image/png');

$email = filter_input(INPUT_GET, 'email', FILTER_SANITIZE_EMAIL);

if (empty($email) OR !filter_var($email, FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL))
{
    $email = 'Invalid email.';
}

$im = imagecreate(strlen($email) * imagefontwidth(3), 15);
$background_color = imagecolorallocate($im, 255, 255, 255);
$txt_color = imagecolorallocate($im, 0, 0, 0);
imagestring($im, 3, 0, 2, $email, $txt_color);

header('Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT');
header('Last-Modified: ' . gmdate('D, d M Y H:i:s') . ' GMT');
header('Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate');
header('Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0', false);
header('Pragma: no-cache');

imagepng($im);
imagedestroy($im);

?>

+1 sounds good to me

Top Bottom