1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest [privacy] Email parsed to image

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Floris, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Floris

Floris Guest

I have no problem disclosing my google talk or other details, but it would be nice if those where it is an email that is disclosed to the public (though by choice) is rendered via gd to an image.
  2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Yep this is necessary to prevent spam.
  3. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Agreed or maybe using other obscuring methods, as though images are great to hindering bots it also makes userbility a pain... It would be good if the email addresses are then called via ajax after page load and replaced with plain text.

This would mean that those with javascript would be able to just copy and paste the email address into their client expecially on mobile devices this really helps userbility
  4. Floris

Floris Guest

I have bad eye sight myself, like .. bad, so I am not dishing on accessibility, but .. they are a rare occurrence in a web site, vs constant spam bots. I chose to fight spam.
  5. James

James Well-Known Member

I thought about this, never suggested it.

+1 from me.
  6. Greg

Greg Active Member

Perhaps have it parse to image for guests and users below X posts, and then above that have it stay as plain text?
  7. James

James Well-Known Member

If you're parsing to an image don't bother wrapping it in a conditional (IMO). Guests and members alike should be able to read an image no problem.
  8. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

I disagree, I think putting text in images is a pain to copy etc... Expecially on a mobile device, if I say was looking at Floris profile on my phone and wanted to add him to gtalk it would be so much hard work I wouldn't bother if it was an image... I think conditionals should work nicely... or a mixture of image and AJAX callbacks to replace the image with the actual link etc. (though this could be gamed by bots so would still need a guest/member/postcount setting)..
  9. James

James Well-Known Member

For copying, yeah I get what you mean... I didn't consider that - thanks Ceri... perhaps a conditional would be useful then!
  10. Eric

Eric Active Member

The bbcode seems to mess it up, so add ?email= at the end

('Content-type: image/png');

$email filter_input(INPUT_GET'email'FILTER_SANITIZE_EMAIL);

if (empty(
    $email) OR !filter_var($emailFILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL))
    $email 'Invalid email.';

$im imagecreate(strlen($email) * imagefontwidth(3), 15);
    $background_color imagecolorallocate($im255255255);
    $txt_color imagecolorallocate($im000);

header('Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT');
    header('Last-Modified: ' gmdate('D, d M Y H:i:s') . ' GMT');
    header('Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate');
    header('Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0'false);
    header('Pragma: no-cache');

11. James

James Well-Known Member

12. Eric

Eric Active Member

depends on what version of PHP you're using. PHP >= 5.2.12 should be fine.
  13. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

+1 sounds good to me