Pricey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazorFlint

(This will make me sound cheap... Don't hate me!)

I love XenForo and would love to buy a copy of it but,
A do think it's a little over priced at $150 with no branding removal, and yes i know it needs to pay the developers but is it worth it? My friend gave me a nulled version which I didn't think was fair and didn't use it but $150? Sure it's got some amazing features, but i'd rather pay something like $90 for it.

(Getting ready for the hate...)

But that's just my opinion, and at the moment I won't be able to pay that amount, with paypal anyways.

What's your opinion?
Thanks, and sorry!

Slightly off topic, but this might help you find value/worth.

A few years ago I had to give my communities a deep, hard look as I was spending a decent amount of money on licenses, requested add-ons, graphics, hosting, etc. To me my forums are my hobby. Comparing the hobby to others (cars, baseball cards, remote control planes, wine, whatever), forums are a pretty inexpensive. A little upfront cost for a license, sure. After that it's just the cost for hosting (mine is $25/mo). You can't find many hobbies that cost as little as $25/mo that bring you stress happiness, and something that can be accessed 24/7 by thousands of others. </my perspective>

Best description of Xenforo was one I saw on IPB

Really made me chuckle!
Well if we're going to focus on features, then let's compare oranges to oranges and look at the feature list of IPB 1.x. one year after release... I guess we could call them the village idiot of the forum world then? :D

Slightly off topic, but this might help you find value/worth.

A few years ago I had to give my communities a deep, hard look as I was spending a decent amount of money on licenses, requested add-ons, graphics, hosting, etc. To me my forums are my hobby. Comparing the hobby to others (cars, baseball cards, remote control planes, wine, whatever), forums are a pretty inexpensive. A little upfront cost for a license, sure. After that it's just the cost for hosting (mine is $25/mo). You can't find many hobbies that cost as little as $25/mo that bring you stress happiness, and something that can be accessed 24/7 by thousands of others. </my perspective>
Yes i can actually beleive that, i love setting up my forums, being proud of what i have Build (sort of) I helped my friend when he bought it i think his website is www.CretForums.net ? Forgot, but yes i'm considering, also I do RC planes and yes its fun aswell!

Well if we're going to focus on features, then let's compare oranges to oranges and look at the feature list of IPB 1.x. one year after release... I guess we could call them the village idiot of the forum world then? :D

Does it really matter? I posted that comment because it made me chuckle when I saw it, no other reason.

People on the IPB forum will love IPB
People on the VB forum will love VB
People on the Xenforo forum will love Xenforo

I have a licence for each of the above, and minus VB which I dont get along with at all since VB4 - I think IPB 3.2 and Xenforo 1.1 both have their pluses and minuses.

Plus I dont think its fair to compare a software version that was released over 8 years ago with one that was released this year. Technology and the web changes. Things Xenforo do now are common place, but unheard of 8 years ago....

Lets not take this thread off topic, it's not fair on the OP.

Does it really matter? I posted that comment because it made me chuckle when I saw it, no other reason.

People on the IPB forum will love IPB
People on the VB forum will love VB
People on the Xenforo forum will love Xenforo

I have a licence for each of the above, and minus VB which I dont get along with at all since VB4 - I think IPB 3.2 and Xenforo 1.1 both have their pluses and minuses.
I understand, and yet I felt it wasn't fair to this software if you actually think it's the best description. Sure, I agree both have their pluses and minuses. :)

Plus I dont think its fair to compare a software version that was released over 8 years ago with one that was released this year. Technology and the web changes. Things Xenforo do now are common place, but unheard of 8 years ago....
Just like it's not fair to call an equally unfair statement 'the best description of Xenforo'.

Lets not take this thread off topic, it's not fair on the OP.
It's not that off topic though, the OP should understand that one year old forum software will lack in features when compared to others, but also that it can have greater potential.

It was only asking, if this is what the community here is like then sorry.
Also I didn't say anything about I want it free.

And if you didn't realise,

I didn't say i wouldn't buy it.

I highly appreciate the software.

Thanks for the feedback i guess. :/

You seem extremely defensive, XenForo has a community which is helpful and caring, I don't post much around here, but I do watch over friends, looking for updates and such.. but still, I have always seen people out there willing to help others. I don't think I've seen that much in other community's (I shall name no names.. ;))...

I don't know if you've decided to go with the software or not, but I will throw in my view.

People have already seen this is the cheapest of all the forum software's, it's been released for what 1 year now? Look how it's progressed, How fast it is.. How sexy it looks If I do say so myself.

In fact, just run a test, Go to http://xenforo.com/community, then go to http://vbulletin.com/forum, http://phpbb.com/community.. Take a look at everything, that everything into account. Don't just look at the paid options, look at the free options too.. There are some really good ones out there, not with as good features as others, but still, they are free. You get what you pay for.

Seriously

Comparing software (or indeed anything) to "Hot Dumb blonde chicks" is highly offensive to women.

This is not the back of the boys toilets at school, and I would appreciate less of the sexist schoolboy talk myself.

Seriously

Comparing software (or indeed anything) to "Hot Dumb blonde chicks" is highly offensive to women.

This is not the back of the boys toilets at school, and I would appreciate less of the sexist schoolboy talk myself.

Hopefully that it's referring to my comment there, because I was in no way shape or form referring to "Hot Dumb Blonde Chicks", I did do a quick search in the thread to look for your comment and found no such conversation,.

Hopefully that it's referring to my comment there, because I was in no way shape or form referring to "Hot Dumb Blonde Chicks", I did do a quick search in the thread to look for your comment and found no such conversation,.

I would assume it has been moderated out.. but no it was not referring to your comment at all.

Edit.. no it's still there, thanks James.

Putting aside the sexist nature of that comment on IPB... it is also offensive in that Xenforo is anything but Dumb, it is the smartest and sleekest forum solution out there.

The fact that it is not bloated with unwanted and unused features doesn't make it any less mature than the older forum software solutions.

Pricey? Only if you don't value excellence. To me it is worth every cent or more, as it is by far the most enjoyable forum solution out there for your users.. by far.

Sorry Kim, and anyone else that got offended (although to be fair it didnt mention any particular sex)

Was just a comment I saw in an IPB thread that made me chuckle. I was trying to highlight the point that if you goto the softwares main forum, your only going to find fans of that software.

*yawns* If your one of these people that have an arse so tight you stick a piece of coal in it and it creates great heat and pressure it forms a diamond because your so tight fisted nothing will ever be good enough that warrants you to spend for anything. Xenforo is quite frankly heads and shoulders above any other commercial software (don't get me wrong there's 2 features that piss me right off) but overall it is the best and worth every penny.

And yes, it's worth it imo.

Sorry Kim, and anyone else that got offended (although to be fair it didnt mention any particular sex)

Was just a comment I saw in an IPB thread that made me chuckle. I was trying to highlight the point that if you goto the softwares main forum, your only going to find fans of that software.

No probs.. :) but for the record, blonde with an "e" is always inherently female ;) one of the few English words that has a male and female spelling.

There was also another post a long time ago that had the same basic premise, but it did specifically spell out that Xenforo was like that "Hot Dumb Blonde Chick" I assumed you were quoting that same thing.

No probs.. :) but for the record, blonde with an "e" is always inherently female ;) one of the few English words that has a male and female spelling.

There was also another post a long time ago that had the same basic premise, but it did specifically spell out that Xenforo was like that "Hot Dumb Blonde Chick" I assumed you were quoting that same thing.

Well you learn something new everyday! I never knew the spelling changed depending on the sex (y)

Ah, probably the same poster reusing his comment.

Its developed by UK developers (Some from my old neighbourhood, Reading), the current exchange rate puts $140 at about: £89

In Surrey, that gets you about 10 pints of beer (mind you, I do like Hoegaarden)..
I think its worth more than 10 pints of Hoegaarden, not to mention Kier likes Southern Comfort (which is also not cheep)

Xenforo has a look an feel far ahead of their game...It's making almost every other forum type nervous, and there's a good reason for it: It's great forum software.

They develop for performance, they don't bloat, they even go back and look at users suggestions from time to time...

[For what it's worth, I have the following forum types: IPB, MyBB, XenForo, Vb, and I find XF to look and feel the most modern and they keep performance in mind]

It's well worth the few quid in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom