Preventing un-licensed Pirates using our work ?

Considering, or more I assume, you are trying to take the 'high road' I do hope you wouldn't make such hap-hazard generalizations, with little to no evidence to back it up.

are you implying unlicensed visitors of xenforo can view the licensed area?

And there isn't added protection; the addons and styles are reposted on many other sites.

Basically all you did was bash unlicensed users of this site, who are still on the fence on buying it. :rolleyes:.

And those sites dont have a xF license only forum... easy for anyone to download the styles and add-ons. Thats all I was saying. Any joe schmo can download it. (Now Im going to get called out by people named Joe)

And those sites dont have a xF license only forum... easy for anyone to download the styles and add-ons. Thats all I was saying. Any joe schmo can download it. (Now Im going to get called out by people named Joe)
Exactly why they go there and not the official site for modifications.

Of course, people are posting the stuff there with no license-only rooms. No security at all to keep the releases in license only locations (this site being the only place)

It makes little difference even here as the people doing the nulled versions have donations setup so they can raise enough money to buy a license then have access to everything regular license holders have.

It only takes 1

I am very sorry to hear about these issues. If you're a part of the XenForo community, I am happy to answer questions (just don't overwhelm me.) I'm very glad to be here and provide the limited support I can which hopefully will also bring increased value in being a customer and user of XenForo, truly great software by people who seem to really care about building a better mousetrap first.

http://www.thelaw.com/guide/ip/how-to-write-a-dmca-takedown-notice/

Sometimes it's about going through the formalities (painful) and knowing whom to hit and using the above (I think there is a form.) It's a waste of time and resources because most of the pirates are judgment proof. You might want to post something on your site that you will be vigilant if you see people pirating your hard work and you will get their accounts shut off. That will scare some.

Regarding others, I remember having to deal with a real piece of work who was making life for a client of mine difficult. His client ripped of my partner's site design - denied it - and forgot to take out some of the remnants in one of his header pages, lol. My takedown notice to his provider (some college or grad student who also does an internship in a local college) was laughed it -- I saved it. He refused to take down this pirate and claimed that somehow the law didn't require him to take it down. Let's just say he looked like a complete fool on a popular web hosting site. I came very close to making his life miserable but we decided it wasn't worth it -- and then his client switched hosting to an offshore account located in Amsterdam just so that he could steal this stupid design -- which my partner later updated since it's outdated, lol.

Anyways... I've found no perfect solution. Part of it is grass roots help from your clients. Part of it is being smart with distribution, e.g. including certain files or items in your zip files that will help you identify who ordered the skin that is being wrongfully distributed (we nailed someone uploading their skin on a popular warez site, canceled their access and updates, etc.)

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Very good, however what if the site / server needed to be 'taken down' is hosted in Russia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Panama or Estonia (to name a few), what do you propose then?

Part of it is being smart with distribution, e.g. including certain files or items in your zip files that will help you identify who ordered the skin that is being wrongfully distributed (we nailed someone uploading their skin on a popular warez site, canceled their access and updates, etc.)

I see what you mean, you must mean like oh I don't know, say maybe a license number...
I think this has been tried, and proven that it doesn't work.

Perhaps you should state your position Hydrix so members know who it is they're communicating with.

Well, as long as licensed customers have access to styles, upgrades, or even your products, there will always be piracy. If you don't want your product pirated, don't put it online. I'm not pointing fingers, but there IS and WILL always be someone among us who will release paid products to the pirate community.

If secret government documents have been leaked, what makes you think your $20-$50 style is safe?

Oh and speaking of styles, they can also be ripped, so if you have live demos, chances are your styles are being ripped as we speak(if they are any good, that is).

Very good, however what if the site / server needed to be 'taken down' is hosted in Russia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Panama or Estonia (to name a few), what do you propose then?

I'd say forget it, you probably don't have cat in hells chance of getting it took down. Places like that don't bow-down to US and UK law threats.

DMCA is mostly used in the USA, but because they other places such as Netherlands, Germany, Hong Kong, there law is different and so DMCA is ignored.

When you say they are all "tight fisted gutless *******s", keep in mind that many versions of vBulletin released as pirated copies were actually first got by paid pirate users. Some pirate groups do own a valid forum license, just so they can get their hands on genuine clean copy of the very latest release to hack for releasing.

I do agree with your post sir.
How do software pirates make money off the software they pirate?
Do software pirates distribute out of the kindness of their hearts?

do what vbstyles/themeincs does add text comments in images file :) its hard to remove those and if you see pirated website download the png and it would have who pirated the skin's watermark

How do software pirates make money off the software they pirate?
Do software pirates distribute out of the kindness of their hearts?

They don't make money, and yes out of the kindness of their hearts :D
Why make $140 serve 1 person when it can serve thousands?
And let us not forget the first 'pirate'... Jesus. For this I refer to Matthew 14:15-21

Quuxj.jpg

do what vbstyles/themeincs does add text comments in images file :) its hard to remove those and if you see pirated website download the png and it would have who pirated the skin's watermark

Yes and I think the purpose of these 'checks' were to remain hidden from 'pirates' eyes. However this method fails when there is more than one 'pirate' with a license to goods.
And don't forget inserting information into images is very easy to clear, you simply download the images from a demo version of the skin :)

Top Bottom