Preventing un-licensed Pirates using our work ?

Serve the images for your styles off of a CDN that the clients can setup in their style options and restrict it to work only with your clients?

Great idea, but it is too easy for people to download the images and simply rename the file paths :( a no win situation to be honest even the highest end scripts get cracked sooner or later.. styles well that is simply little league to most the people involved in this activity..

Thanks for your help / feedback.. i will just toughen up and slug the good people $15 or so per style now lol.

this topic forced me to register.

my opinion is. Developer, be glad and proud your software/addon/skin is widely pirated. xF or vB are best forum or CMS softwares ever. Learn from Microsoft strategy. (better is they use OUR pirated software,than licenced from competitor). Wait, until your work (licenced or unlicenced) will use most of the sites. People will know how to use your software only, they will be familiar with it. Thanks to "pirates" less and less people will use free software solutions, and you will own the market. They advertising your work for free!

And later, when your unlincenced software will use almost everyone, you may react. And then you will earn much more you cannot imagine now.

Not exactly a good strategy. The problem is the pirates take a download from our site, go in and remove our credit links and add their own links claiming the work as theirs. What really gets me is when someone actually tries to ask for support for said work on my site. I cannot count how many times people provide me a link to their site and the credit links are either pointing elsewhere or they are removed completely.

My work with styles are done as a hobby, in a way and really doesn't compare to the work others do here for a living (John, DragonFly, Shelley & Miko). So having some crook come along and steal my stuff really bothers me and was the deciding factor in not having my site to release free stuff on. I felt it was just catering to the non-licensed pirates to get free styles since they cannot download from here. I have roughly 8 XF styles I wanted to release but am having second thoughts and would rather give them to someone that would make use of it in a good way.

i see. so, someone "licenced" is stealing your content, recoding it and sharing into public as his work? correct me if im wrong.

That does happen. People seem to have this illusion that Pirates won't pay for anything. Well, some of the pirate groups do, that's how they get their hands on a latest clean copy of the software in the first place, to then hack and share it illegally later.

Hmm, I think Google is more than well aware who sells vBulletin, IPB and XenForo officially for example. Yet, they don't blacklist other P2P sites sharing that software illegally - off their own back.

Bottom line, your not going to stop Piracy "plain and simple" from happening, ever on the web!

Bottom line, your not going to stop Piracy "plain and simple" from happening, ever on the web!

That's probably the truest thing you've said and probably will ever say. Piracy will happen regardless, You get rid of one and 10 more will pop out from the woodwork to carry on the family tradition.

With regards to google, they'll index anything and everything. Doesn't mean a thing that piracy is legitimate because a large corp indexes them. Google has indexed your sites in the past, yourself for pirating software but again, as stated, they'll index everything if the can and they do.

Google wants to remain in number one top spot as the biggest search engine out there used. What would happen if they stopped indexing any P2P sites? 99% of internet users would stop using it, that's what would happen! :)

That does happen. People seem to have this illusion that Pirates won't pay for anything. Well, some of the pirate groups do, that's how they get their hands on a latest clean copy of the software in the first place, to then hack and share it illegally later.
Maybe i should stop releasing add-ons here on xf.com and only release them for users with an "subcription" on my own site.
So i will get at least 5$ instead of 0$ from them:D

Post your styles here in the 'licensed members only' forum. 1 added layer of protection for you. At least it would be protected from some tool with no license coding out of his moms basement.

Post your styles here in the 'licensed members only' forum. 1 added layer of protection for you. At least it would be protected from some tool with no license coding out of his moms basement.
Fansites tend to cater towards pirates as well, when they repost modifications in the licensed members forums.

I've already seen one fansite doing so, and I know they do not have the permission to post them.

Fansites tend to cater towards pirates as well, when they repost modifications in the licensed members forums.

I've already seen one fansite doing so, and I know they do not have the permission to post them.

That's a good point actually. Fan-sites that cover the forum software sold they use, are always looking for ways to help punt their own sites growth off the back of that software, and what better way than to redistribute mods and themes for it. Which many take it upon themselves to do!

That's a good point actually. Fan-sites that cover the forum software sold they use, are always looking for ways to help punt their own sites growth off the back of that software, and what better way than to redistribute mods and themes for it. Which many take it upon themselves to do!
Redistributing is fine, when they have permission, some of them don't bother though.

At least it would be protected from some tool with no license coding out of his moms basement.

Considering, or more I assume, you are trying to take the 'high road' I do hope you wouldn't make such hap-hazard generalizations, with little to no evidence to back it up.

Top Bottom