I am the founder of the first Italian web community dedicated to the time-lapse photography: Time Lapse Italia. This is a Wordpress self hosted solution, running the latest version of the platform.
I'm getting lots of requests from my community members to open up a forum area, which would let them discuss freely and in a more engaging way than the one which was setup at the beginning (which is, a Wordpress premium plugin for Questions and Answers).
I've discovered XenForo and I'm getting in love with that.
However, before purchasing, I need to ask you a few questions.
- my hosting provider says that all xenForo requirements are satisfied except that the PHP version is 5.2.17. Would this be a problem? Should I ask for a server migration - hoping this is possible?
- As far as I've understood, integrating Wordpress with XenForo is possible, although a little tricky. SSO is possible, so my community members would be allowed to switch from the xenForo forum to other pages, comments them without having to login 2 times.
Am I right, or misunderstanding something?
- Can Wordpress and xenForo co-exist within the same server - maybe under timelapseitalia.com/forum ? or should it be on a different machine / subdomain to work smoothly?
- Time Lapse Italia is a free and open community, and at this moment is mainly living only thanks to my own effort in terms of work and (sigh) money. Ads won't pay me back for the efforts, for now.
xenForo is an amazing product, but I find the license quite an important budget. However, I need to understand if the fee you ask for is a one-time license fee, giving 12 months of support obviously, and it stops working after 12 months, or if it can go on like that but w/o getting future upgrades after the 12 months.
And one more doubt: in case I understood it correctly, would I be able to pay (let's say, on the 3rd year of usage) for the upgrade by paying the license again?
- Would I be able, after the purchase, to skin my xenForo instance to look like my site (I mean, mainly like I understand it's not possible) and most of all, would I be able to integrate
- BuySellAds 125x125 ads on the right sidebar, and
- Virgilio Banner system (an iFrame 300px width) which you can see on the right sidebar - please see an example here
Thank you very much for your time guys