Pre-Release for developers?

wmtech

May I ask if it is possible to pre-release new versions of XenForo to developers?

This would bring the add-ons quicker up-to-date after a release, thus helping all customers to get add-on updates more quickly.

I saw that you kind of pre-released the RM to the guys at XFShowcase. This made it possible to release add-ons for the RM early. But only by those developers who administer XFShowcase. I think all other developers should get this chance as well.

Last, but not least such pre-releases will benefit to all your customers.

I saw that you kind of pre-released the RM to the guys at XFShowcase.
Inaccurate.

I was asked very kindly by Mike (along with the moderators here and several other people) if I would personally like to help beta test.

I accepted and suggested that it would be prudent if I were to install it at XFShowcase. I equally could have installed it anywhere. It wasn't to benefit "developers" but instead to benefit the final product by way of bug testing. Some of the other beta testers weren't even developers at all. So, ultimately, it was done to benefit the customers.

It's not a development thing. It was purely for testing purposes.

I'm not disagreeing on that, to be fair.

I just didn't want people to get the wrong idea.

I know the RM has been in active use here for over a year now so we weren't exactly expecting to find many bugs, but even so, the product was pretty much release ready already when we got it. I can only speak for myself. I found a couple of incredibly minor bugs, and a few petty things and I doubt the other testers found much more. So in terms of testing, there's not been much for us to do :p

Hopefully more people (not just developers either) will get access to 1.2 when that starts being tested. But, whatever happens, the testing should benefit the end product, and customers, rather than any particular person or groups of people. I had that in mind all the way through. I could have easily written several paid add-ons ready for release tomorrow, but I don't think that's fair. As it happens, I instead did 3 simple free add-ons that will ultimately benefit those people buying the RM.

I'm certainly not a developer, but was also asked to help Beta test the RM. Again, like Chris, I was also able to find a few minor bugs that were reported back to Mike.

If I remember correctly, the xenForo team releases public betas and release candidates before pressing any gold seals into the product.

Add: oooh I forgot about the Add-on products... hmmm...

Top Bottom