Browser issue Posts and other elements act as clickable/focusable elements

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
Affected version
On my iPhone 8 Plus (iOS 11.1 Beta 5, Safari), posts can be pressed on and focused.

This happens to other elements as well, such as overlay content (the change avatar overlay has this behaviour, which makes it impossible to locate on the avatar to download it).

Liam

On my iPhone 8 Plus (iOS 11.1 Beta 5, Safari), posts can be pressed on and focused.
I'm still on Beta 4 but I'm not sure if this is new or even problematic. iOS has always had the "tap highlight" thing though I agree it seems more normal to have it on elements which are interactive or tappable. If it is new, I'm not sure what they've changed here to trigger it.

This happens to other elements as well, such as overlay content (the change avatar overlay has this behaviour, which makes it impossible to locate on the avatar to download it).
The avatar is not clickable anywhere. Go to the full profile, for example. It's not possible to press and hold to get the context menu to save the avatar. I think I know what this is (but not certain). I think it might be some CSS which we apply mostly for the text based avatars (to avoid the text in them being selectable). We probably shouldn't be applying that to image based avatars at least.

It’s not new, I’m pretty sure it was happening on my iPhone 7, it just seems wrong... if it’s iOS, then bugger, that’s annoying. I’ve not noticed it on any other site (that I recall).

Liam

The focus flash thing is something that goes all the way back to iOS 8 so it's not something which is new in iOS and generally should be happening in other places.

There are ways to get iOS to set this focus flash background colour to be transparent, and we actually sort of discussed it before but we decided against changing what is, ultimately, a key and default behaviour of these devices.

I'm slightly confused as to what the criteria is for when this flash occurs as it seems illogical to have it happen on elements which aren't inherently interactive.

As for the long tap on avatars issue to get the context menu up, that should now be resolved, but otherwise this will just be considered a browser behaviour/issue.

Top Bottom