1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Posting 1.2

Prevent others from posting a reply until the thread starter has finished.

1. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

AndyB submitted a new resource:

Posting - Prevent others from posting a reply until the thread starter has finished.

Read more about this resource...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

This is genius. Don't really need it, but it's still so good that it should be part of Xenforo core.

ogirginc and xf_phantom like this.
  3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Disagree. Seems pointless to me.

4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

When we post resources, some of us like to reserve the first couple posts of a thread for updates.

xf_phantom likes this.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Resources have a dedicated function for that.

6. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I know. Some of us prefer the traditional way though.

7. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Can we change the word to be something else instead of "Posting"

8. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I still can't see a use for this. Obviously @DRE and @AndyB can.

Regardless, you're doing a good job with resources recently and I have thought about installing 1 or 2. This isn't one of them though.

9. bobs409

bobs409 Active Member

Not for everyone but I could have put this to use on my forum back when I was posting a "build thread" about an old truck I was restoring.

It was a thread that followed the restoration process as I went along from start to finish so every so often, I would need to update it with some new progress photo's and the story to go with it. This would in many cases take a few posts to complete as there is a limit of photo's allowed per post. I didn't want anyone replying or posting in between my updates.

So I too went in and "reserved" a few spots by replying to myself a few times, then went back and edited them with the pics and info.

This add on would have been a perfect way to avoid going through this. (y)

10. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

The word posting in a generic thread title such as "Posting on Facebook While At Work" is too commonly used. Something like -TCP- (Thread Creation in Progress) is not commonly used so just adding -TCP- could work better.

11. masterchief

masterchief Well-Known Member

I would use moderation tools to lock the thread instead of using this addon

Lee likes this.
  12. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

13. Matthew Hawley

Matthew Hawley Well-Known Member

:O I didn't know that! Where?

14. Matthew Hawley

Matthew Hawley Well-Known Member

What If a member what's to use the first 5 posts?

15. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

"Post Resource Update"

16. masterchief

masterchief Well-Known Member

seriously, I have no reason to reserve posts.. if and when I choose to do that I think it would be prudent to maybe do it this way:
    1. do NOT list the forum in the nodelist (nobody can view the contents until I think that is is ready)
    2. I can edit contents of all my posts to my heart's content, edit my first post when it is required.
    3. plan everything out first! prepare all of my info BEFORE I create the thread.
    share your thoughts on this issue ... enlighten me please

17. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

18. rwm1962

rwm1962 Active Member

All forums are different - some of my members will use this. Not often but useful at times. I'd like an option for 24, 48 or 72 hour expiry!

19. rwm1962

rwm1962 Active Member

WIP

work in progress

Already being met with approval when I suggested this feature to the membership.