Not planned PostgreSQL database support

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
While I agree, I think they should concentrate on just MYSQL for the time being. It's A LOT of work up-keeping two database platforms, and MYSQL seems to be working just fine.

I think PostgreSQL support would be great in the future.

MySQL is now owned by Oracle which is well not a very trustworthy company.

They have already practically killed the open source edition of Solaris.

Things are likely to become complicated for MySQL as well in the future.

I think PostgreSQL support would be great in the future.

MySQL is now owned by Oracle which is well not a very trustworthy company.

They have already practically killed the open source edition of Solaris.

Things are likely to become complicated for MySQL as well in the future.

PostgreSQL is extremely poor for smaller sites. The only benefits are for larger sites. Additionally, Oracle would be committing suicide should they wish to kill off MySQL - in fact, the developers would fork it out, and continue development, independant of MySQL/Oracle.

we can only hope that MySQL survives the wrath of Oracle. of course it cannot be shut off from the open source scene. but there are still plenty of fears in the market.
If oracle cuts of mysql, im sure there are more experienced developers out there that can continue it.

well the financial incentive might not be there. we can only hope that some other company adopts it. but then... mysql is losing its popularity amongst the giants of the web. twitter/facebook i believe are no longer relying on it.

well the financial incentive might not be there. we can only hope that some other company adopts it. but then... mysql is losing its popularity amongst the giants of the web. twitter/facebook i believe are no longer relying on it.

Source?

I know they upgraded to 5.1 in July of this year. In fact, on the 17th, they pushed a few more updates to MySQL for FaceBook.

Twitter uses Cassandra, and in my opinion, this isn't suited for a forum use.

If someone better comes along i'm all for it [performance, security, paid vs open source etc].

All of the Facebook stuff to do with MySQL has been made public at the notes.

Let me quote:

"Cassandra … is column-oriented and allows for the storage of relatively structured data. It has a fully decentralized model; every node is identical and there is no single point of failure. It's also extremely fault tolerant; data is replicated to multiple nodes and across data centers. Cassandra is also very elastic; read and write throughput increase linearly as new machines are added."

Cassandra doesn't provide the ad-hoc structure we need, it's lost. Cassandra I believe is available only on Linux. Implementation for such NoSQL databases would be very painful. Twitter does not use Cassandra for the tweets themselves; they continue to use MySQL.

But going back to the topic, PostgreSQL - how many of you have tried to use it on a small site?

Whys is it a great alternative? What benefits does it have over mysql?

Oracle owns Sun now, and suing Google over Java/Android.

Educate yourselves. http://arstechnica.com/open-source/...it-undermines-its-open-source-credibility.ars

Such blatantly antagonistic litigation sends a clear message to the open source software community that Oracle is a hostile and abusive interloper rather than a contributor.

It's important to recognize that the impact of this lawsuit will be felt far beyond the scope of Java and will also influence perceptions of other key open source projects obtained by Oracle, such as the MySQL database system.
Screven(Oracle's chief corporate architect) told InfoWorld. "I expect that core features will end up in community edition. There will be some value-add, like monitoring or backup, that make sense in the enterprise edition."
While Screven said that Oracle definitely wants to run MySQL as a business to make money, he emphasized that he and others at the company liked the way the open source community edition made it easy for people to start up projects. "It would be a mistake for us to starve the community edition because that would impinge upon the ubiquity of MySQL," he said.

well as i had stated above. this is just a perception and nothing has been done yet :p

Larry Ellison may not want to make more money, you are right. Let me just toss some information your way.

As of 2010 he is the sixth richest person in the world, with a personal wealth of US$28 billion.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oracle is going to integrate mysql into enterprise solutions. What makes you think he cares about your website?

Top Bottom