Not planned PostgreSQL database support

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Anyone running a Microsoft server, but otherwise liking PHP apps is ending up running both MySQL and Microsoft SQL on the same server. It's really not that much of an issue.

I've tried - it aint pretty. SQL Server will eat as much RAM as it can. Even optimised, and cutting it's RAM usage can make it slower. It's not really worth having two database systems installed on 1 server.
So, about having it as an addition. I don't believe that the market is there for it right just yet. I'm not sure is XenForo is using the Zend framework to connect to the database or if it's through an abstract layer or what, but, losing these optimisations for the platform is not really wanted at this stage. I suppose this could be an addon, as a driver, like Invision Power does things.
PS, you can use PHP and MSSQL.

I'm with Shamil on this one--I already run PostgreSQL on my VPS for several Django apps and would really rather not have to run MySQL as well.

If the developers don't intend to implement pgsql support, what would their stance be on a community-written 'plugin' to make it work?

True, but I don't know of many, if any, who use this option. IP.B is the only software I know, who supports this.

phpBB2 supported about half a dozen databases in its initial setup, and that was available several years ago.

I'd be happy if xF would natively support the Sphinx search engine, as that is what drains our resources on our "big board" forum during peak hours. Sphinx searches are lightning fast, updated every couple of minutes via cron, and saving us from needing a server upgrade we can't afford. We had a long running Sphinx thread at vb.org detailing all that we did, and a lot of us are still a bit miffed at vB for not offering native Sphinx support built in. That is the single reason we will not upgrade our forum to vB4 at this point. (Then again, when the feature set here gets more robust, I'll probably switch over to xF anyway. ;) )

Supporting multible databases is quite a task, believe me, I was working for 14 years on a big commercial ERP system supporting several databases. If you haven't planned this right it will beome a nightmare. And there are small subtile differences in how the databases handle things.

When I think about vb and all their errors and I now hear that they talk about supporting multiple databases I can only :rolleyes:

If the developers don't intend to implement pgsql support, what would their stance be on a community-written 'plugin' to make it work?

From what I've read in the tutorials, it doesn't look like XenForo has an abstraction layer, so this probably isn't possible at the current time, even if you wanted to write it yourself. If the PostgreSQL syntax differs from MySQL's for any of the existing queries, you would run into problems.

From what I've read in the tutorials, it doesn't look like XenForo has an abstraction layer, so this probably isn't possible at the current time, even if you wanted to write it yourself. If the PostgreSQL syntax differs from MySQL's for any of the existing queries, you would run into problems.

Yea, after doing some development on mods and seeing how things are structured I don't have a lot of hope for being able to port this properly. Even if I got the forum software itself running on PostgreSQL, some mods would probably have to be changed as well. Too much of a hassle for the person running the forums.

I would really like to see the DB layer abstracted away so nobody is doing raw SQL calls; this would become a possibility then.

Edit
Edited so I didn't double post, but this is some interesting news regarding MySQL's future.

Since XF is using Zend/Db.php components, it should not be difficult to change to any database (mssql, pgsql, mysql etc)! I have not purchased a licence yet, but the Zend Framework allows for a level of abstractions for the databases and theoretically you can use any database server, just the queries should be SQL ANSII.

Since XF is using Zend/Db.php components, it should not be difficult to change to any database (mssql, pgsql, mysql etc)! I have not purchased a licence yet, but the Zend Framework allows for a level of abstractions for the databases and theoretically you can use any database server, just the queries should be SQL ANSII.

While Zend does support many database backends, all the queries for XenForo are 'hand-written' and it is the same with any addon that will use the database. Take a look at the Thread model when you get your license.

Any word on why this wasn't written using a nice ORM? Or does PHP not really have good ORM libraries?

While Zend does support many database backends, all the queries for XenForo are 'hand-written' and it is the same with any addon that will use the database. Take a look at the Thread model when you get your license.

Any word on why this wasn't written using a nice ORM? Or does PHP not really have good ORM libraries?
Actually the Zend_Db_Table can be considered an ORM. It is a Table/Row data gateway design pattern.
I assume the developers of XF preferred useing 'hand-written' queries for performance purposes, ignoring portability of the repository

If oracle cuts of mysql, im sure there are more experienced developers out there that can continue it.

You think Oracle would let them? Talk about a david vs goliath situation, Oracle wasn't afraid to sue Google over Java use, so you think they'll let someone do the same with MySQL?

You think Oracle would let them? Talk about a david vs goliath situation, Oracle wasn't afraid to sue Google over Java use, so you think they'll let someone do the same with MySQL?

Apples and oranges, Dave.

Google was unable to negotiate a suitable licensing agreement to use Java technologies on the Android platform. Their response to this was to create Dalvik. The effect here is that you compile your Java code, Dalvik re-compiles the compiled code so that it isn't "Java" anymore, and then runs it. Oracle claims that this process violates the Java licensing agreements or copyright.

MySQL (Community) is currently licensed under the GNU General Public License (v2) and as such can be forked at any time. If Oracle does decide to change the licensing on a future release, the current license will still apply to the versions previous to that. There are already several MySQL fork projects out there.

I am personally not a fan of Oracle's products or behavior, and am not defending them in the least, but knowledge is power!

To be on topic: Here's hoping at some point all the SQL gets abstracted away from developers so we can make a Postgres driver a reality :)

Anyone running a Microsoft server, but otherwise liking PHP apps is ending up running both MySQL and Microsoft SQL on the same server. It's really not that much of an issue.

Any situation where I have to use SQL server, I normally will run it on it's own machine or on a VM so that it can't take over all the RAM on the web server. Because it will, to be honest most database servers in very active environments like to take up all the resources they can. It's just the nature of the beast.

I'd love the ability to try some NoSQL backeneds (specifically couchbase, Redis, or mongo) in addition to other pure SQL RDMS' like PostgreSQL - flexibility to tie XF into different stacks.

A thin abstraction layer that would let us write plugin 'drivers' would be incredible, though I don't have high hopes for any existing systems to really go this route.

But I'm *hoping* :)

Top Bottom