Post Ratings - taking likes to the next level [Deleted]

In the recent activity feed, I noticed that "post" is written twice:
RackMaster rated Totentanz's post post
tick.png
Agree in the thread "Likes" Temporarily Disabled.

This is more than awesome...when I get set to do our next site upgrade I will be sending you some cash for this :D

My users are very vocal and hating this. "It's too much!" "Passive aggressive trolling!"

*sigh*

This is why I can't have nice things.

[thank - disagree]
if the options were limited to 'like' and 'dislike', people might not want to click both. but if your choices were like, agree, disagree, thank, laugh, groan, hug, and slap there are many combinations people might wish to click.
True, but in my humble opinion that's just a mess, and if multiple ratings are allowed, it degrades the 'value' of the post. If User#1 makes a post and it gets 1 Agree, 1 Funny, 1 Optimistic, 1 Creative, then it seems like 'hey, this post is pretty good', but wait a second... all of these ratings were from User#2... doesn't seem like much of a good post anymore. Regardless of how many ratings you have, the post should generally have one rating that fits best with your own opinion of the post. If the post made you LOL as soon as you read it, rate that Funny, regardless if you agree with what the poster is saying as well. If you agree, quote him/her and expand on what he/she is saying. If users are allowed to utilize as many ratings as they possibly want, there's less room for them to need to say what they think about something via a written post when they can get most their opinions about it on the table via multiple descriptive ratings, which could lead to less activity overall. This is all just speculation on my part, I have no evidence or stats to back this up but I do have experience with communities and the effects of adding certain features, but take this with a grain of salt if you wish, just another 'internet opinion' after all. ;)

My users are very vocal and hating this. "It's too much!" "Passive aggressive trolling!"

*sigh*

This is why I can't have nice things.

I was worried about this as well, and have been considering doing only positive and neutral ratings. I don't have the addon on a live site so I have on idea how my community would take to it, but I definitely see negative ratings being an issue... sigh indeed.

First, great add-on you have here Dark!

I like that you set a forum restriction per rating, how about a usergroup restriction as well? one way I would use it is enabling the negative ratings just to the mods/admins.

French language :) (version 1.0.2)

In /library/Dark/PostRating/Install.php, replace:
PHP:
(1, 'spritesheet.png', 'Like', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 10, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-32;}'),
(2, 'spritesheet.png', 'Agree', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 20, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-16;}'),
(3, 'spritesheet.png', 'Disagree', 0, 'a:0:{}', 0, 30, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-144;}'),
(4, 'spritesheet.png', 'Funny', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 40, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-128;}'),
(5, 'spritesheet.png', 'Winner', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 50, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-192;}'),
(6, 'spritesheet.png', 'Informative', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 60, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-96;}'),
(7, 'spritesheet.png', 'Friendly', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 70, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-112;}'),
(8, 'spritesheet.png', 'Useful', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 80, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:0;}'),
(9, 'spritesheet.png', 'Optimistic', 0, 'a:0:{}', 0, 90, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-64;}'),
(10, 'spritesheet.png', 'Creative', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 100, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-80;}'),
(11, 'spritesheet.png', 'Old', 0, 'a:0:{}', -1, 110, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-160;}'),
(12, 'spritesheet.png', 'Bad Spelling', 0, 'a:0:{}', -1, 120, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-48;}'),
(13, 'spritesheet.png', 'Dumb', 0, 'a:0:{}', -1, 130, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-176;}');");

• Replace by:
PHP:
(1, 'spritesheet.png', 'J\'aime', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 10, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-32;}'),
(2, 'spritesheet.png', 'Je suis d\'accord', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 20, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-16;}'),
(3, 'spritesheet.png', 'Je ne suis pas d\'accord', 0, 'a:0:{}', 0, 30, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-144;}'),
(4, 'spritesheet.png', 'Amusant', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 40, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-128;}'),
(5, 'spritesheet.png', 'Gagnant', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 50, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-192;}'),
(6, 'spritesheet.png', 'Informatif', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 60, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-96;}'),
(7, 'spritesheet.png', 'Sympa', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 70, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-112;}'),
(8, 'spritesheet.png', 'Utile', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 80, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:0;}'),
(9, 'spritesheet.png', 'Optimiste', 0, 'a:0:{}', 0, 90, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-64;}'),
(10, 'spritesheet.png', 'Innovant', 0, 'a:0:{}', 1, 100, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-80;}'),
(11, 'spritesheet.png', 'Vieux', 0, 'a:0:{}', -1, 110, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-160;}'),
(12, 'spritesheet.png', 'Mauvaise orthographe', 0, 'a:0:{}', -1, 120, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-48;}'),
(13, 'spritesheet.png', 'C\'est nul !', 0, 'a:0:{}', -1, 130, 1, 'a:4:{s:1:\"w\";i:16;s:1:\"h\";i:16;s:1:\"x\";i:0;s:1:\"y\";i:-176;}');");

Attachments

i guess i dont view them as 'ratings' so much as feedback.

This add-on can be used for a variety of purposes I don't think there is one singular criteria this falls into which makes the potential for this add-on to be great. So far, I'm Still not convinced of some placements and wondering is there some kind of contingency plan for users whom will use a vast array of icons? How will this effect the layout on the post/message area? Since I'm working on my own set of icons (spritesheet) icons will be serving a multitude of purposes like the support plus = positive good support rating. whilst support minus = negative support, bad support. Another example is at this time you can like and love a post. The icons I have in mind will be award medals working under a tiered system gold award, silver, bronze and a pile of poop. I was just wondering with this vast array of icons how will the layout be handled? will the container box break? fall under a new line?

Not properly though out but i was thinking possible have an option to allocate "related icons" under a category and the front end upon clicking the icon will bring down a dropdown menu to select the gold post icon silver post icon bronze post icon. Dropdowns are not my preference to be honest but I though an explanation might bring forth some ideas on the plan that too many icons in the layout will possibly cause too much crowding, clutter and/or breakage.

I'm not sure about this, but it seems if we disable Xenforo like system, the usergroup without permission to use the rating system, can't like a post, shouldn't this be the fallback to those usergroup even if the like system is disabled to those with the rating system permission?

Also, the multiple rating choice per post don't seem to be working right now, when I rate a post, I don't see the option to rate it again, or did I misunderstood this option?

Allow multiple unread rating alerts for post
If disabled a maximum of one unread rating alert per post will be enforced.

Once again Darkimmortal, great work.. my members are already having fun with this :D

Also, the multiple rating choice per post don't seem to be working right now, when I rate a post, I don't see the option to rate it again, or did I misunderstood this option?

You misunderstood the option (I did the same thing, first time I read it).

Basically, it means that if multiple people hit say "like" on one of your posts (the same one), that you will only get a single Alert message about it, or should you get an alert for every like someone does of that same post. At least, that's how I read it. =)

You could always just have positive ratings?

I've pitched it to my members based on that restriction as we won't have negative ratings.

Same here, although I haven't pitched it to them. We'll be positive only and probably stick to 'Like', 'Love' and 'Thanks'. - It can act as a 'thanks' mod as well & kills two birds with one stone - although this may be an example of when being able to rate a post twice would be useful perhaps?

Top Bottom