Post Ratings - taking likes to the next level [Deleted]

Any particular reason why we now have to have TMS installed? I've never been a big fan of these auto template edit systems *sigh* I like to have control over edits :D

Extremely annoying to be honest. I'd rather not have to rely on another third party system to ensure this works.
It is annoying but what's even more annoying is having to re-apply template edit's after an upgrade that requires you to revert several templates. That was one of the main reasons why I left vBulletin 4 because of the amount of reverts we had to make. With the Template Modification System, we don't have to revert the templates that would normally require an edit due to a modification.

But yeah I agree it's annoying, but consider the future when it comes to upgrades. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

Any particular reason why we now have to have TMS installed? I've never been a big fan of these auto template edit systems *sigh* I like to have control over edits :D

Extremely annoying to be honest. I'd rather not have to rely on another third party system to ensure this works.

It's now optional, updated install/update instructions

I was very skeptical at first, but it's much better than any system I've seen for template edits, especially as everything is handled automatically when you install addons that integrate it.

Thanks DI. I think the biggest issue I have with it is because it's not your own modification, so we're relying on yet another coder to keep it updated as well as you keeping yours done :)

I'm not saying the guy who coded the TMS is unreliable - I don't actually know him - I'm just a little wary of one coder relying on another coder for his mod to work.. if you understand what I mean :)

It is annoying but what's even more annoying is having to re-apply template edit's after an upgrade that requires you to revert several templates. That was one of the main reasons why I left vBulletin 4 because of the amount of reverts we had to make. With the Template Modification System, we don't have to revert the templates that would normally require an edit due to a modification.

I prefer to re apply edits... that way I know exactly what's going on within my templates.

But yeah I agree it's annoying, but consider the future when it comes to upgrades. You'll be doing yourself a favor.
I'm afraid I don't agree :)

Try thinking outside the b
Thanks DI!

I agree with Azhria Lilu on this one. I wouldn't want to have to be dependent on another developer's add-on and that was really making me rethink adding your add-on. But, the fact that it is an option makes it a 'must have' for me again :)
Try thinking outside the box. For instance, if you have xenporta or bd widget frame-work, that add-on's extra modules are sometimes dependent on other addons. If you don't have XFRU Albums, you can't display a photo block on your front page with xenporta. If you don't have xenMedio, you can't display videos on your front page with xenporta. If you wanted to try doing so without the addons, you would have to apply a template edit that you might have to revert during upgrades.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't want to add an add-on which would be dependent on another add-on. Therefore, if the developer of the TMS add-on decides not to support it any longer and something would go wrong with it, we may lose our ability to use this add-on.

What you're referring to is being dependent on an author's work to assist with features on your site. Totally different point :)

Try thinking outside the box. For instance, if you have xenporta or bd widget frame-work, that add-on's extra modules are sometimes dependent on other addons. If you don't have XFRU Albums, you can't display a photo block on your front page with xenporta. If you don't have xenMedio, you can't display videos on your front page with xenporta. If you wanted to try doing so without the addons, you would have to apply a template edit that you might have to revert during upgrades.
What I'm saying is that I wouldn't want to add an add-on which would be dependent on another add-on. Therefore, if the developer of the TMS add-on decides not to support it any longer and something would go wrong with it, we may lose our ability to use this add-on.

What you're referring to is being dependent on an author's work to assist with features on your site. Totally different point :)
What he said :D

It's now optional, updated install/update instructions

I was very skeptical at first, but it's much better than any system I've seen for template edits, especially as everything is handled automatically when you install addons that integrate it.

Out of curiosity, I would imagine it uses some-kind of "search and replace" method to do auto template edits" using the framework thing "find this code - insert this below, or find this code - replace with this". What will happen for example, if lets say you've installed a few other mods already and one has altered the template code the framework with this mod is trying to find and auto update same template? Would that not start causing problems with some other mods, or this one. And why doing manual template edits is probably best option really, you can see if a template has already been edited by a mod previously installed.

Hmmm, I seem to be having issues with template hooks for a few addons lately and I can't seem to figure out why yet. First Twitter Auth, now Post Ratings. :(

The modification for the post bits is not showing on my default template. I'm wondering if it's only working on the parent of that template, I guess I should check that. The parent template for it isn't default though and I don't have it selected.

Hmmm, I seem to be having issues with template hooks for a few addons lately and I can't seem to figure out why yet. First Twitter Auth, now Post Ratings. :(

The modification for the post bits is not showing on my default template. I'm wondering if it's only working on the parent of that template, I guess I should check that. The parent template for it isn't default though and I don't have it selected.

Are you using Template Management System?

Check your template hierarchy and try reverting any modified templates relating to the addon in child templates and then making the changes in the parent

Are you using Template Management System?

Check your template hierarchy and try reverting any modified templates relating to the addon in child templates and then making the changes in the parent
Yes, I'm using the latest version of TMS, and all the rest of the applied TMS entries for Post Ratings work fine.

I don't see any entry in TMS for the post bits though, but I do see the reference where it uses the hook in the code. I can't see why it wouldn't be working. It worked before upgrading to 1.2.0. :/

Yes, I'm using the latest version of TMS, and all the rest of the applied TMS entries for Post Ratings work fine.

I don't see any entry in TMS for the post bits though, but I do see the reference where it uses the hook in the code. I can't see why it wouldn't be working. It worked before upgrading to 1.2.0. :/

Is TMS applying the change to ad_message_below correctly?

Also it would be worth double checking that ad_message_below is being included by 'message'

If you make the change to ad_message_below manually does it work?

Is TMS applying the change to ad_message_below correctly?

Also it would be worth double checking that ad_message_below is being included by 'message'
Yes, all the entries that Post Ratings made in TMS automatically work fine, except for the EWPorta one which doesn't matter to me.
postratings.webp
postratings2.webp

Could you have edited ad_message_below in a child template in a way that would stop TMS from applying to it?

Might be worth trying the manual edit for ad_message_below

Could you have edited ad_message_below in a child template in a way that would stop TMS from applying to it?

Might be worth trying the manual edit for ad_message_below
I have a parent template that is completely unmodified, and I haven't manually edited ad_message_below in any of its child templates.

Did you see my screenshots from the previous post?

I have a parent template that is completely unmodified, and I haven't manually edited ad_message_below in any of its child templates.

Did you see my screenshots from the previous post?

Oh didn't realise that was what you meant, that relies on the built in hook message_user_info_extra, assuming you have the style property enabled.

Top Bottom