XF 2.2 post install questions

dbsDev

We run a gaming server system, and have been using phpBB since 2006 when we first started. The forum software has 3 added functions so that when a few things happen, our gaming database is updated. First is when a new user is created, we have to populate that in our database, and 1 each for when the user or admin changes the password. On the easy side, the gaming data is stored in the same table as the forum data. I'm guessing I need to take those questions to a different forum topic. With that said...

I imported (without any apparent major issues) our phpBB 3.3 data into XF. I am curious why the user count in BB is at 2401 yet in XF its 1982. I gather the "bot" accounts are not added in, which is fine... but that is still a huge difference. In BB we do allow email addresses to be used more than once but of course the user name must be unique. Perhaps dups of the addy were skipped?

The other issue I have is with the "site map". I am doing all of the importing and testing on a Debian 10 VM under windows. Most stuff was setup yesterday. Today when I loaded the VM and went into the forum admin I was told there was an error with the site map. It said it couldn't contact Google to upload it. Well, I am a believe that Google is not your friend, so I need to find a way to stop that from happening. As well, I looked at the 'site map' under the Logs tab and I noticed it was wanting to send out our entire list of users within the map. And that is a huge NO... So if someone could tell me how to stop or disable the site map, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Gary :)

ok, solved the Google issue... just disabled the site map features. With that said, there is a huge discrepancy with the users imported from phpBB. I've done some database checking and I found that our gaming table has 376 entries for users that are NOT in the xf_users table, and 418 users are missing between the phpBB users table and the xf_users table. It is possible that some of those 418 are bots and crawlers... which I can see not being imported.

I imported (without any apparent major issues) our phpBB 3.3 data into XF. I am curious why the user count in BB is at 2401 yet in XF its 1982.
Depending on where you're checking the count, XF may not include banned or incomplete registrations in the total.

In BB we do allow email addresses to be used more than once but of course the user name must be unique. Perhaps dups of the addy were skipped?
This is very relevant, as when you started the import, you should've been given an option to control the behavior with users with a duplicate email addresses. By default, these accounts will be merged.

Given that you're looking at DB tables directly, you may want to check the import log table that you specified to see if there are "user" entries for the old user IDs that appear to be missing. If they are there, it will tell you the new user ID they map to. If users were merged, multiple old IDs will map to the same new ID.

Thanks for the reply Mike... but.. :)

I did 2 new imports this morning, obviously nuking the xf_ tables to start with.

Automatically merge users with the same email unchecked
Automatically merge users with the same username unchecked
created 1982 users

Automatically merge users with the same email checked
Automatically merge users with the same username unchecked
created 1982 users

Perhaps maybe, 1/2 dozen of the accounts have been banned, but they still need to be imported anyway, in case some point in the future they may come back and grovel. All accounts, other than the bots and crawlers, generally have validated email. Typically no email is blank. I have several 'test' accounts I use that all have the same email. We permit email addresses to be used more than once. Several people play different games with different people but are the same person, so they re-use their email. Of course, any new account, duplicate email or not, still has to be validated.

With all of that said, I have checked the import log table. Quite a few entries point to 'x' being changed to 'y'.. sometimes 3-6 times. All of the "old id's" are unique, obviously no dup user names ever, many are not duplicated for email addresses. As for banned people not being imported, that is a flaw IMHO... I still need that information, regardless of the forum software being used.

just as a followup, I have confirmed that regardless of the import setting(s) that users with duplicate email addresses are not being imported from phpBB. From looking at the user registration settings in the options in Admin, I can see no option that would allow future accounts to have duplicate email addresses. I know that as a gaming site that uses the forum user side to populate our gaming tables, that this feature is a requirement. Our primary focus is on gaming, not on forums.

I thank the community and friends for trying to help us improve our services, but I think at this point our option is going to have to be to stick with phpBB..

Gary

Top Bottom