Implemented Post Edit History

Erik

This may have been posted already (I can't believe it hasn't), but I tried searching and I couldn't find anything, so here goes...

Currently, if you edit a post, there's no indication that the post was edited. I thought it just updated the post date/time, but I just tested it and it doesn't appear to do anything at all (post date/time stays as original).

It would be really nice if there was a "edited by [name] x minutes ago..." in addition to the original posting date, à la vBulletin and others.

I feel that this is a crucial feature to avoid confusing or malicious/nefarious edits. :)

Upvote 92
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.

AWESOME !!!!

some bad news ... Robbo didn't use my killah edit notification
zwhxza.gif

maybe v2 ? ;)

Note: Robbo's addon has POST VERSIONING !!!!!! +awesome.

Currently, if you edit a post, there's no indication that the post was edited. I thought it just updated the post date/time, but I just tested it and it doesn't appear to do anything at all (post date/time stays as original).

It would be really nice if there was a "edited by [name] x minutes ago..." in addition to the original posting date, à la vBulletin and others.

I feel that this is a crucial feature to avoid confusing or malicious/nefarious edits. :)

Agree 100% that this should be a standard feature. :)

Information about who edited some post is a base thing, which we expect to be part of the XF core. And, of course, there are other important base things, which should be implemented by default.

And of course, this question can be resolved by installing third-party add-on, which can be bought (really, 10$ for add-on is not such amount of money, which I will worry about), but the main issue in that case - forum is overloaded by third-party add-ons and that affects negatively forum's perfomance and makes upgrade of the forum relatively complex task.

Please, pay attention to my post and give us (all users, who intersted in this functionality) a clear answer: will this be a part of XF core or not.

Thanks.

Regards
Pavel

For the record. My post edit history add-on posted above will do absolutely nothing to performance. Nothing extra is loaded on the post pages. When you go to view something is loads with AJAX or goes to a new page.
He doesn't mean that specifically your add-on slows forum's performance, but all of them make some difficulties to forum upgrade process and each new add-on brings from the one hand new features and from the other hand some problems. For example - here is the list of add-ons currently installed on the forum, which I administer. And some of them just adds some base functionality, which can be part of XF core.

Attachments

• 20120213-f4t6sgxibgs546p9ci6tntpp1f.webp
    20120213-f4t6sgxibgs546p9ci6tntpp1f.webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 40
He doesn't mean that specifically your add-on slows forum's performance, but all of them make some difficulties to forum upgrade process and each new add-on brings from the one hand new features and from the other hand some problems. For example - here is the list of add-ons currently installed on the forum, which I administer. And some of them just adds some base functionality, which can be part of XF core.

What is the "[XFR] Site Articles" ?

Profoundly disappointing that this common, normal, and often required standard feature is not in the XenForo built-in options.
Spent time looking for this via help, its a major disappointment, and really incomprehensible that at least a basic version is not available via a simple check box.:(

Your reaction is weird. Not sure why you over-react like that. You miss the point that XF is a young product, meaning a lot of features has to be implemented yet, even if the actual product is fairly complete. Meanwhile, there are 2 available addons for that.

Arkshine, your reaction is weird. How dare you presume to call a person's reaction weird. Your own seems to be one of a closed-community troll, waiting to pounce upon a new member with an air of snobby conceit. There are trolls like you in every community, probably. Your correct, non-troll response could have been simply:

"XF is a young product, meaning a lot of features has to be implemented yet, even if the actual product is fairly complete. Meanwhile, there are 2 available addons for that."

I'm not the XenForo keeper, nor the expert on it's history as you seem to presume to assume every person who assesses the product would be. In large communities, its a near-essential feature, in fact. Regardless, it should be a basic feature.

So troll/flame members in your own Forum, and I don't expect to see you posting after me again.

Profoundly disappointing that this common, normal, and often required standard feature is not in the XenForo built-in options.
It is a bit odd. Thanks for replying to this thread. This suggestion obvious feature needs implementation.

Profoundly is a bit strong :)
It is definitely surprising.

If you think that is bad, wanna demo something f*$sldjl'd up ? [sample] .
Be thankful for what you have :)

There is this:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xenplaza-post-editing-reason.996/
- not sure how good it is.
And this:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/user-essentials-paid.28469/
- expensive but good.
And This:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/edit-history.24399/
- good.

Arkshine, your reaction is weird. How dare you presume to call a person's reaction weird. Your own seems to be one of a closed-community troll, waiting to pounce upon a new member with an air of snobby conceit. There are trolls like you in every community, probably. Your correct, non-troll response could have been simply:

"XF is a young product, meaning a lot of features has to be implemented yet, even if the actual product is fairly complete. Meanwhile, there are 2 available addons for that."

I'm not the XenForo keeper, nor the expert on it's history as you seem to presume to assume every person who assesses the product would be. In large communities, its a near-essential feature, in fact. Regardless, it should be a basic feature.

So troll/flame members in your own Forum, and I don't expect to see you posting after me again.
Wow, you need to calm down. :confused: You over-react again for nothing. I've *simply* answered to *inform* you about 1/ why it's not there, 2/ possible solutions. I've provided you some *help*, and all I get, is apparently I'm a troll. Seriously?

Here is an add-on that adds Post Edit History, as well as a lot more features which you'll probably want: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-essentials.408/

That said, going off on a member who was trying to be helpful by telling you there are add-ons available that provide the functionality you want, and overreacting to both the lack of feature, and his reply isn't the best way to go about things.

Wow, you need to calm down. :confused: You over-react again for nothing. I've *simply* answered to *inform* you about 1/ why it's not there, 2/ possible solutions. I've provided you some *help*, and all I get, is apparently I'm a troll. Seriously?
No, you are a troll and don't like to be called out for it.
You did not *simply* answer anything... you are further insulting in your response, even after I suggested you lay off.
Nobody needs you trying to spin & continue trolling, and yet you come back again.
Don't piss down my neck and tell me its warm yellow rain, buddy.
You've hijacked the post, lol.
You should be ashamed of yourself, and hold your tongue in the future.
:p

@ Whomever are the devs, yes we were profoundly disappointed, as its $$ spent by a client already, now I'm telling them it will take more money to do it. They had spent much time trying to do it already, not realizing it could not be done. :( They are taking some heat for what some of their colleges told them this morning (that XenForo was software that was not ready for prime time yet), and doubtless this afternoon may take more.

Profound. ;)

But I do appreciate the serious replies regarding the options available, and have looked at them now.

JeffCiv : You were a bit harsh in your selection of words.
And Arkshine isn't a troll for calling you out on your harshness.
It's time for everyone to move on.
JeffCiv: just get user essentials, you'll be glad you did.

by Arkshine:
Your reaction is weird. Not sure why you over-react like that. You miss the point...
I don't know what standards there are at this Forum, but above is the troll.
Maybe at a kiddie site, that is OK.
But its an intentional personal attack, completely off topic and totally uncalled for.
The actual post began after these 2 1/2 sentences of trolling.

Since its apparently not understood what a troll is, at this forum, well this is it (wiki def):
a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[3] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[4] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[5]

That was inflammatory,extraneous, & off-topic.... and it's primary intent was provoking a reader (me) into an emotional response[4] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

And it succeeded ;).

Its profoundly surprising that it takes a new "outsider" to point it out to this apparently closed community.

That... is bizarre.

No, you are a troll and don't like to be called out for it.
Don't piss down my neck and tell me its warm yellow rain, buddy.
You've hijacked the post, lol.
You should be ashamed of yourself, and hold your tongue in the future.
You should be ashamed of yourself to despise someone who has helped you. My english may be poor but I've said nothing wrong and all I've done is to provide you information on the matter. Ah yes, for sure I have not had time to search link of the add-on when posted, but I thought you were enough smart to use the search tool. "Weird" was here because of "Profoundly disappointing" + "major disappointment" + "really incomprehensible" ; which is just...weird. It was surprising, nothing more and was wondering why you were overacting. Nothing else. Even by reading again the comments above, I still don't understand why you have answered that aggressively and randomly. In the future, you should avoid to assault people helping you. o_O

Incidentally, I've the User Essential add-on installed on my forum, which contains post history, and it's absolutely exellent in the matter. I can vouch on it. :)

Top Bottom