Implemented Post Edit History

Erik

This may have been posted already (I can't believe it hasn't), but I tried searching and I couldn't find anything, so here goes...

Currently, if you edit a post, there's no indication that the post was edited. I thought it just updated the post date/time, but I just tested it and it doesn't appear to do anything at all (post date/time stays as original).

It would be really nice if there was a "edited by [name] x minutes ago..." in addition to the original posting date, à la vBulletin and others.

I feel that this is a crucial feature to avoid confusing or malicious/nefarious edits. :)

Upvote 92
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think kier & mike have this in mind, BUT i'll suggest it:D

It would be great if the edit history would also be not dependent of the content type and 3rd party coders could use this for there own content types without c&p:)

Merged with the original suggestion.

Have you merged two different requests though?

I thought I'd posted into a thread about wanting an "Edited by [x] on [x]" marker on posts that had been edited - which appears to have been merged with a post about wanting an edit history - aren't these two distinct separate ideas?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

(I reserve the right to be wrong if I've misread or misunderstood!! ;) )

I thought I'd posted into a thread about wanting an "Edited by [x] on [x]" marker on posts that had been edited

Doesn't the first post in the thread cover that?
It would be really nice if there was a "edited by [name] x minutes ago...

Subsequent discussion then also mentions edit history, so the two subjects have been on the original thread for some time, although I take the point that they are different suggestions, albeit linked.

Perhaps when I get the time I can split off all those related to edit history and leave those just about an edit message (the thread title is confusing in this respect also as it states edit history when in fact it's just for an edited by message).

Doesn't the first post in the thread cover that?
It would be really nice if there was a "edited by [name] x minutes ago...

Yes, but the "edited by" marker would be inordinately easier to code than a fully-featured post edit history system.

The former a minor change, the latter a much bigger one.

Hopefully the larger one won't swallow-up the smaller one and delay it's implementation in XF. ;)

Yes, but the "edited by" marker would be inordinately easier to code than a fully-featured post edit history system.
The former a minor change, the latter a much bigger one.
Hopefully the larger one won't swallow-up the smaller one and delay it's implementation in XF. ;)
Good point. Make a new thread. Put "Edited by" in the title to distinguish them.

The bigger boards among us can definitely see the benefit of this feature as moderating is not a chore but a way of life within larger communities. As communities scale so too do the processes of management. I would really like to see this feature implemented as its one of few our current vB set-up has over XF.

i am having a fiasco because one of our member just removed the original contents and posted something vague which leads to all the confusions. He's started removing all threads/contents he posted.. As a knee jerk reaction, i revoked the edit rights which again leads to all the furore.. :) things are now in control though.. after all the explanations..

The place i am in... proxy votings are widely practiced illegally.. can i vote for those who haven't voted for this feature

Top Bottom