post counts

Brandon

I see 'Messages' in every user profile but nothing about 'post count'. The two numbers don't seem to correspond so I'm guessing post counts are not used in this bb?

Postings is so called because it's not limited to posts or messages. Any content you post anywhere can be exposed there.

I disagree with your rationale to change 'messages' to 'posts' but as you suggested, the phrase is of course editable for your own board.

Postings is so called because it's not limited to posts or messages. Any content you post anywhere can be exposed there.
You used that same rationale for why you said messages works on the member card.

The Messages counter on the member card counts anything posted anywhere.
Postings is so called because it pertains to anything posted anywhere.

The number of messages on the member card = the number of postings.

Why have two names for the same thing ?

I think if it were to come to a free vote, people would prefer Postings v. Messages.

Although I believe this 'issue' has not much to do with things being a correct verb or noun, Digital Doctor does have a point. It is not much use arguing about the meaning of words, because it has been made clear that:

Yeah, message count is applicable to all messages. It may not be particular inherent at this point, but with a different system (say a blog or article system with comments), it will aggregate across them. We do want to get profile messages into the search so they they'll show up in that postings tab

No, not at this time. As the concept of the message count is actually content unaware, this is more complex than you might think. (Though by default, only messages in the forums count, this isn't necessarily the long term goal.)

So, the word 'message(s)' is meant to represent every form of content instead of only forum postings. If this is the definition given to this word by the developers, then that's the way it is :).

But...

There is no other content available then forum postings on XenForo in it's current state. Except for profile postings. But even those profile postings are not included in the 'message' count. So -to be nitpicking- the phrase 'Message Count' in the Membercard is not quite appropriate. It should be 'Post Count' in the current state of XenForo. This will make it also consistent with the user's profile, where the related tab is called [Postings], because that tab also only consists of forum postings. Exactly like Digital Doctor pointed out.

I don't really mind that much which word is used for what, as long as the consistency is kept in place.

Another example is the phrase 'Your Content' in the UDM (User Dropdown Menu ;)). This brings you to exactly the same results as if you would go to the [Postings] tab in your profile if I see it correctly. Is it indeed correct that 'Your Content' only displays the forum posts you've made? Then this phrase is also a bit confusing, because 'Your Content' implies (as it is with 'Message Count') that it is about more content then just your forum postings....

Also, when you go to the [Postings] tab in your profile, at the bottom of that list you have 2 links: 'Find all content by Grover' and 'Find all threads by Grover. 'This 'Find all content by Grover' is -logically- the same as the 'Your Content' in your UDM. For me I often need to think a bit when I click on 'Find all content by Grover'... because I somehow think this will give me more content then my Postings. I am in the [Postings] tab, so having a different phrase called 'all content' in that same tab-overview makes it not so clear. I know it is nitpicking and once you know what it represents, you know. Just saying it's not that clear at first use really.

IMHO, in the current state of XenForo, 'Message Count' should be renamed as 'Post Count'. And 'Your Content' / 'Find all content by Grover' would be more clear if it was just called 'Your Postings' / 'Find all postings by Grover'.

But obviously it's all done for future extensions. Mike confirmed that they want profile messages showing up in the [Postings]-tab. The phrase/tabname [Postings] would then still be appropriate anyway, since they (forum posts and profile posts) are both called posts in the first place.

My 2 cents.

Just a quick question now, since I am confused after reading this whole thread.

At the current state of XenForo, do Profile Messages / Comments go into your Message Count? Or is it still only your forum posts ?

If it is still your forum posts, is it possible in future releases to put maybe an option to make it so the admin has the choice of only collecting and calculating users "Forum Posts" instead of their "Profile Comments" and other things.

If this whole profile comments has already been implemented in the "message count" how can we make it so it only calculates the forum posts?

Never thought I would see such a big thread on the correct use of post or message. My opinion, who cares, lol. :)

Like Kier said, it is editable, so if you don't like "messages", change it to "posts". Case closed....

So wait, I'm confused now. Is there or isn't there a way to essentially "update post/message counts" based on your members current data in the database, and which forums currently count posts, etc?

So wait, I'm confused now. Is there or isn't there a way to essentially "update post/message counts" based on your members current data in the database, and which forums currently count posts, etc?
There's an add on to exclude sub forums from counting posts.
To update the counts, I guess you do that with rebuild user cache?

If you import your old forum into xf and install my add-on and set the forums where the postcount shouldn't be added, everything should be ok:)

If you import the old forum, open it to users and they post for 1,2 weeks and if you THEN install my add-on, the post count for the posts posted in the 1,2 weeks won't be removed!

AdminCP >> Appearance >> Languages & phrases >> Phrases

Filter for word Messages and select the phrase "Messages"

Check at top of the page that the language you want to change is displayed:
Appearance > Languages > English (US) - Phrases

edit-phrase.webp

Change the Phrase text: to Posts or whatever you like. Save and Exit.

If you use more than one language on your forum, remember to make the change for each installed language.

Top Bottom