XF 2.0 Possible to block legacy addon upgrades unless legacy version ID is >= X?

DragonByte Tech

If possible, I would like to avoid having to replicate the entire upgrade process since the initial XF1 version when creating the installers for the XF2 version. Is there a way I can block upgrades if the installed XF1 version is too old?

Example: The latest XF1 version ID is 20170916. Someone has version 20170216 installed and has upgraded to XF2. Can I block the upgrade to the XF2 version with a message saying something like "Sorry, the legacy addon version is too old. Please uninstall and re-install this addon."

Thanks!

Fillip

You could add a checkRequirements(&$errors = [], &$warnings = []) method to your Setup class and do the checking in there.

However, the problem with your approach is, how exactly do you expect a user to recover from that if they've already upgraded to XF 2.0? You'd basically be expecting them to revert everything back to a pre 2.0 upgrade backup, then upgrade the add-on, then re-do the upgrade etc.

It's not really a good approach. You had might as well just replicate the upgrade steps (just like we've had to with XF, XF(ES|MG|RM)).

Furthermore uninstalling would mean loosing the data of your Add-on.

IMHO the correct way is to add all the necessary code to upgrade any existing version and if you continue to maintain a 1.5-branch this needs to be kept in sync.

You could add a checkRequirements(&$errors = [], &$warnings = []) method to your Setup class and do the checking in there.

However, the problem with your approach is, how exactly do you expect a user to recover from that if they've already upgraded to XF 2.0? You'd basically be expecting them to revert everything back to a pre 2.0 upgrade backup, then upgrade the add-on, then re-do the upgrade etc.

It's not really a good approach. You had might as well just replicate the upgrade steps (just like we've had to with XF, XF(ES|MG|RM)).
Fairy nuff, gonna be quite the amount of work but I'll get it done :)

Gives me an excuse to back-port the recommended version number change (recommended format with the "90" prefix you and Mike taught me) to XF 1.5 as well.

Fillip

Top Bottom