Lack of interest Positioning of like and comment for profile posts on new profile posts page is odd

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

RobinHood

Not really a bug, but just slightly off placements of the like and comment buttons on this page.

You have to look all the way to the right side of the page and up to click comment, then scan all the way back to the left side of the page to make the comment in the little box on the left. It's particular odd when there are a lot of replies, as your looking for a reply button that's not inline with the last post.

upload_2014-8-27_17-31-54.webp

This is on a small 13" laptop screen, I imagine it's looks even more odd on a large desktop screen.

I think it's always been like this on the profile posts page, but less accentuated as the thread is further to the right, rather than aligned to the left side of the page.

I guess it's only a problem on fluid themes too, so probably more of a suggestion than a bug, to move these two buttons closer to the report button somehow...or have a comment/reply button at the bottom of the thread.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't totally disagree with you, but the structure is basically the same as with posts so that's where the design comes from.

I will move this to suggestions though.

Yep, indeed. I figured I'd mention it anyway now that more attention is being drawn towards the use of status updates and it threw me for a moment when I encountered it.

Not really a bug, but just slightly off placements of the like and comment buttons on this page.

You have to look all the way to the right side of the page and up to click comment, then scan all the way back to the left side of the page to make the comment in the little box on the left. It's particular odd when there are a lot of replies, as your looking for a reply button that's not inline with the last post.

<->
...or have a comment/reply button at the bottom of the thread.

I agree with you. In fact 4 years ago, I mentioned this in this sugegstion: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/comment-on-a-profile-posting.7082/

It got the label [Lack of Interest]...

Ha, your example with the arrow in that thread is quite extreme, makes the point though.

I think having the single line comment box always available for logged in users at the bottom of the status update or status update thread as per your suggestion/facebook that expands or adds the avatar and submit button on focus would be the way forward. Then the comment button could be removed completely.

Even if only 3 people cared :) (liked) about this, look what XF2 improves on this matter:

Before

upload_2014-8-27_17-31-54.webp

After

improved profile comments layout.webp

Another tiny little UI/UX 'issue' solved with the release of XF2 (y). I am really impressed by the obvious substantial improvements in UI/UX that the new XF2 style brings to its endusers.

This problem isn't really resolved though and I still have reply issues on profile posts where users will make entire new profile posts instead of replying to an existing one because it's the only text box visible on page load.

Having to click the comment button, which is no where near where the reply box appears is not great, especially when there's lots of comments. I would prefer the reply box to automatically appear anywhere that you can post.

This problem isn't really resolved though and I still have reply issues on profile posts where users will make entire new profile posts instead of replying to an existing one because it's the only text box visible on page load.

Having to click the comment button, which is no where near where the reply box appears is not great, especially when there's lots of comments. I would prefer the reply box to automatically appear anywhere that you can post.

For me the issue was that the [comment] button/link was positioned (way) too distant (almost 'out of context') from the content it was related to. Now, with the new greatly improved XF 2 style, this issue is solved. The comment button is now much better 'integrated' with the comments-area it belongs to. A think it is a perfect solution/improvement. And so I think the UI can not be pointed to anymore to blame for the 'stupidity' ;) of the end user.

We have the UI and the end user using it. If there is no conceivable improvement possible anymore in the UI, then we are left with the end user to improve themselves...

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something, nothing has changed? Are you maybe using a theme that moves it? In which case that highlights how bad the current stock position is.

This screen shot is taken from your profile here a few moments ago.

1512769577796.webp

Last edited:
You shouldn't even have to click anywhere to show a box. The reply box should just be there, encouraging people to spill their thoughts and post with less friction. They're already logged in, they have the permissions, why add that extra hoop? Who cares if it makes the list a little less information dense, as long as it encourages activity and reduces confusion.

Unless I'm missing something, nothing has changed? Are you maybe using a theme that moves it? In which case that highlights how bad the current stock position is.

Something has changed :). I quess I am stating the obvious (is that the right expression in English?), but in XF2's new style the comment-cells (or however they did it, I am not a technical user) are visually wider, so they stretch all the way to the position of the 'Comment' link. (The position of the Comment link did not (need to) change, because the position of the cells did.... perfect!). That way all that belongs together functionally, now visually belongs together as well. So this UI guides/helps the end-user much better than before. It is a small change, but solves what was not quite right before.

But I also understand your point of wanting to not have to click on a link to be able to comment. I referred to Facebook in my example before, but I have now come to a different point of view. Facebook's core (public) interaction mainly takes place in the comments area of their platform. So this comments area (where-ever it appears) needs to be as sophisticated/user-friendly as possible. But when we compare it with a dedicated forum solution like Xenforo, I think it's good to realize that the core of such a platform lies in the forum discussions. So the forum area in this case needs to be as sophisticated as possible. And with XF that's surely the case.

So my point of view is that it is perfectly balanced out how XF presents itself and what it offers to the enduser. The core is the forum and not the 'by-product' called User Profiles. At least, that is how I see it. Do you have any extensive discussions taking place in the User Profiles of your platform?

Stumbled across this thread again when looking for something else. Slightly disappointed this has been marked as lack of interest and still hasn't been addressed 4 years later, not sure if that was an automated or human decision. But it's pretty clearly an example of poor UI how it stands.

Having a quick reply box always visible and removing the comment button completely would fix this.

I've posted elsewhere that having only the one default posting box on a profile is confusing to users (new profile post), as users will often post replies to other statuses in the new status box, because they don't release they have to click a reply button for every other status on the page if they want to reply to them.

Top Bottom