Populating news on portal?

mattprinceuk

Hi, Currently have an IPB licence but fallen out of love with it a bit tbh. Plus I can’t seem to do what I want with it.
On xenforo can I have a portal as the main landing page and then have articles pulled from a “News & Rumours” forum to display on the landing page? Pretty much the same as the landing page on www.macrumors.com

Cheers

Matt

Yes, that would be possible to a certain extent with the built in functionality (page node + article forum), however, for full portal functionality you would need a third party add-on.

Yes, that would be possible to a certain extent with the built in functionality (page node + article forum), however, for full portal functionality you would need a third party add-on.
So if I make a forum that’s an article based, how do I have a landing page that just drags content from there? If I buy a licence, does it come with any guides to show me?

Hi, Currently have an IPB licence but fallen out of love with it a bit tbh. Plus I can’t seem to do what I want with it.
On xenforo can I have a portal as the main landing page and then have articles pulled from a “News & Rumours” forum to display on the landing page? Pretty much the same as the landing page on www.macrumors.com

Cheers

Matt
We use a customized Wordpress to accomplish this.

You can certainly use the "article" format that is in XF to accomplish a roughly similar affect, but it's not quite as robust as Wordpress for article management.

If you want to actually do wordpress <-> XF, you could look at https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xftowp-wordpress-integration.8161/ - I haven't used it, but it accomplishes basically the same thing that we do.

We use a customized Wordpress to accomplish this.

You can certainly use the "article" format that is in XF to accomplish a roughly similar affect, but it's not quite as robust as Wordpress for article management.

If you want to actually do wordpress <-> XF, you could look at https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xftowp-wordpress-integration.8161/ - I haven't used it, but it accomplishes basically the same thing that we do.
Cheers for that. I’ll have a look into that 👍🏻

You can do almost everything with XenForo and the proper add-ons.

Take a look at my site and see for yourself. Just XF + add-ons + some configuration and it's done. No Wordpress involved.

I run from WP like vampires run from garlic.

Cheers

Matt
You can do almost everything with XenForo and the proper add-ons.

Take a look at my site and see for yourself. Just XF + add-ons + some configuration and it's done. No Wordpress involved.

I run from WP like vampires run from garlic.
I signed up recently for one month of the Invision low-end cloud plan for evaluation purposes. By using the Pages component along with the ability to manually promote items via the "Our Picks" option, I was able to set up my Home page so there were some forum items that contained image and text information near the top, with the latest forum posts underneath (see example below). This is what I want to be able to do with whatever product I end up choosing ultimately. My core requirement/goal is to avoid having my home landing page look like a traditional discussion forum with categories/forums as a major part of the content.

I am glad I found this discussion thread since understanding that with Xenforo I'd need add-ons at least to make something similar might affect my decision in terms of which product to use. Can I ask what add-ons could be used? Maybe the Article Management System or something similar?

Screenshot 2021-02-22 150408.webp

About the discussion on Invision vs XenForo vs any other, you should ask in another forum, like The Admin Zone. There is a lot to consider.

In my case, i choose XF without a doubt because he have the best features and a very good community, specially for add-ons and very good developers and support. The cost vs benefits are incredible if you compare to any other platform.

And yes, I'm using Article Management System from @Bob, one of the best developers around here.

For the 'news widget', i use Live Forum Statistics from @021 - another great developer too.

All the add-ons that i use in my site have basically a full time support, so, no worries here.

The quantity of themes and quality of then are from another world, you can customize anything.

Good luck with your site.

I am glad I found this discussion thread since understanding that with Xenforo I'd need add-ons at least to make something similar might affect my decision in terms of which product to use. Can I ask what add-ons could be used? Maybe the Article Management System or something similar?

Out of the box, Xenforo 2.2 supports article type forum threads, so with the proper styling, you can accomplish this without add-ons. But there are reasons why you might want to use an add-on to get more features.

arn

Top Bottom