1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unmaintained Poor Man's Portal 1.1.8

A simple, quick and easy to use, portal for your XenForo forum software.

1. EasyTarget

EasyTarget Well-Known Member

EasyTarget submitted a new resource:

Poor Man's Portal (version 1.0.1) - A simple, quick and easy to use, portal for your XenForo forum software.

Read more about this resource...

2. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Lemme see a demo please.

3. EasyTarget

I posted an image, HOWEVER, it is just a very basic template, it isn't meant to be the end-all be all. The template / css files are designed to be easily editable and customized to how ever YOU want your home / portal page to look.
    In fact you should be able to easily take your existing html, css, pages and just add the <widget> tag to merge in the XenForo widgets. It's all up to personal preferences.

4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I did not see the image at first, sorry. This media widget would hopefully use the site's own existing media sites bb code?

5. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

I have been asking for this! Thanks!
    I will install on my site today and provide a URL here for others to demo.

6. craigiri

Well, this is not a true demo, but here it is on my site:
    http://hearth.com/portal/#

I am only going to use one part of it now, which is the latest posts, on my front page.
    I will need to format that and style it - and will post back when this is live.

But you can see from that URL above that it is capable of displaying XF information OUTSIDE of XF, which is really (IMHO) the reason for this add-on!

Thanks, ET! A donation will be coming soon!

7. craigiri

ET, is that a small bug that the (numeric count) members online on the right shows the limited number of displayed members (5) as opposed to the actual members online?

8. nusapromo

nusapromo Member

i really confused with this portal addon installation?

9. craigiri

This is not a usual add-on in the sense of most...where you install it into XF and it works within XF.

This is only for reporting certain information completely outside of Xenforo.

I followed the instructions and it works just as Easy set it up to do. From there, it's up to the user to customize it. Easy has offered to do this for a small fee.

10. EasyTarget

What do you need help with?

11. nusapromo

nusapromo Member

mydomain/portal
    everytime i set the path location is always getting error
    Err: The config file:

12. EasyTarget

Most likely it can find your XenForo config file
    in the file
    /eipSoftware/portal/config/portal_config_useroptions.php
    at line #16, you need to specify the FULL directory path, i.e.
    PHP:
    $config['forumDirectory']    = "/var/www/forums/library/config.php";    
    or you can specify a relative directory path, such as,

PHP:
    $config['forumDirectory']= "../forums/library/config.php"
    This assumes that you have your XenForo software in a directory called "forums" and that directory is located off of the main www directory for your web service.

Let me know if it works.
    Thanks

13. nusapromo

nusapromo Member

how about this
    i still not getting right ...what my wrong?

14. EasyTarget

Hi nusapromo:

I think I know what it is, it is something about the way your web server is configured.
    So I think we can do a test to see if we can overcome the limitation

In the file /eipSoftware/widgets/lastposts/cls/widgets_lastposts_cls_getlastposts.php
    on line # 25 &26,
    change it FROM

PHP:
    self::$userOptions    =  eipLoadConfigFile($currDirectory '/eipSoftware/portal/config/portal_config_useroptions.php');    //get the user options for the portal
    $widgetOptions=  eipLoadConfigFile($currDirectory '/eipSoftware/widgets/lastposts/config/widgets_lastposts_config_widgetoptions.php');//get the options for the widget
    and change it TO
    PHP:
    self::$userOptions=  eipLoadConfigFile('eipSoftware/portal/config/portal_config_useroptions.php');//get the user options for the portal
    $widgetOptions=  eipLoadConfigFile('eipSoftware/widgets/lastposts/config/widgets_lastposts_config_widgetoptions.php');//get the options for the widget
    Let me know if this sort of corrects it, or if you get a different error message

15. craigiri

FYI, I installed this and am only using a tiny part of it on my front page now:
    http://www.hearth.com

The middle col. at bottom is using PMP to pull in the latest posts.

16. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Great idea BTW.

I assume that Alerts and Inbox are beyond the scope of this ?

If not, Alerts would be a very popular future addition. (I don't think I've seen this successfully done in a "non-xenforo" home page).

17. EasyTarget

Alerts can be handled, no one has requested it as a feature before.

The limitation of course is that the member must have logged into your site before, AND clicked the option to retain the cookie in their browser history. Otherwise there is no way the system would know what alert to display.

How would you want them displayed? Just a notice that there is alert available, or would you want it displayed in a sidebar template?

18. EasyTarget

EasyTarget updated Poor Man's Portal with a new update entry:

Added new features

Read the rest of this update entry...

LPH likes this.
  19. EasyTarget

20. EasyTarget

EasyTarget updated Poor Man's Portal with a new update entry:

Minor Updates for Link's