Not a bug  Poll percentages incorrect for multiple choice polls

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure this is how the percentages should be displayed for multiple choice polls.

poll.webp

Surely the total should still be 100%?

I'm not sure if it is, ~66.7% of people would start a new community. this is correct and is a useful bit of information. If it said ~33.3% of the votes, it would be less informative really.

It's not a bug. It's how multi choice voting works. If you ask 10 people if they like A, B, C, and D (allowing them to choose multiple values), and they all chose each option (40 "votes", 10 voters), it doesn't make sense to report 25% for everything. 100% of people voted for each option.

It's not a bug. It's how multi choice voting works. If you ask 10 people if they like A, B, C, and D (allowing them to choose multiple values), and they all chose each option (40 "votes", 10 voters), it doesn't make sense to report 25% for everything. 100% of people voted for each option.

your logic is correct bu its confisung for the average Joe like me to see a poll with a global result higher than 100%

I agree with Mike on how this works. I guess the confusion comes from the fact that in multiple-choice polls, we each define "percentage" in two different ways:
  1. Percentage as the ratio of how many voters out of all voters voted for an option-- so if all voters choose option A as well as other options, then option A has 100% (and other options have other percentages).
  2. Percentage as a comparison to the other options in the poll, or popularity in comparison to the other options. (In this case you can't really call it "percentage" anymore, you'd have to call it "popularity ratio" or something)
For example there are 10 voters and 2 options. All ten people voted for option A, and five people voted for option B. With definition #1, this would be:

A. 100% (100% of the people voted for this)
B. 50% (50% of the people voted for this)

With definition #2, this could be:

A. 66.6% (10 of 10 people voted for this, thus it is twice as popular as option B)
B. 33.4% (5 of 5 people voted for this, thus it is half as popular as option A)

For people who want the percentages to add up to 100%, the second definition makes sense. For those of us who think of percentage as the ratio of how many people out of the total number of voters voted for a particular option, definition #1 makes more sense.

Personally, I'd keep it as-is.

Somewhat offtopic but still:
do i have to count the total given votes myself?

Number of total votes cant be seen anywhere?

Top Bottom