Please remove search id on What's New pages URL

CyberAP

Let's take a look on a New Posts page URL for example. Essentially New Posts page is a search query for threads that have new posts and this query ID is included in that url. I can not foresee a use case for this query ID though. If you go to the New Posts page you will always need the latest information there and if you refresh that page you'll always get the same results if this query has not been removed yet. But not only it prevents you from getting latest version of the New Posts page by just refreshing the page, it is also incorrect if you want to share this URL or add it to bookmarks\quick access. Lastly, this number always increases no matter what. Even if you change your filters, even if nothing on this page has been updated. Instead, it would be super nice if it reflected the filters that I set on that page.
This applies to all pages within the What's New page.

Last edited:
There's a lot going on that would potentially need to change to never have numbers in these URLs. (Actually, pagination makes never having an ID in the URL very difficult, given the filters.)

Even in common cases, there are at least theoretical tradeoffs of not maintaining a specific ID that can lead to entries disappearing unexpectedly depending on your filter.

I wonder if there's even a need for pagination? Just an AJAX Show More button would work because page numbers are not representative of their contents by themselves. Plus you always stay on the same page with that approach, which is better IMO. And with a Load More button search query can be passed in a JSON object, instead of polluting a GET request.

To put it simply: the most common case with pagination on What's New pages is getting to the next page and the possibility to go to another page could be simply cut off with no major loses there.

the most common case with pagination on What's New pages is getting to the next page
Good point.

And these pages are hard to reach on my iphone 7 plus anyway
1502303558154.webp

I'll bet 1 out of 200 times are people on what's new and they don't go page by page sequentially.

Last edited:
Bear in mind the stage we’re at now vs the stage we were at before today.

That was the stage to provide feedback on such things and now anything else is just a suggestion for the future as it’s not going to change now.

There are probably suggestions related to AJAX pagination / scrolling already so the discussion should continue there.

Just an AJAX Show More button would work because page numbers are not representative of their contents by themselves.
If you load further results via AJAX into the current page without offering pagination it effectively means endless scrolling, doesn't it?

If you load further results via AJAX into the current page without offering pagination it effectively means endless scrolling, doesn't it?
No.

Bear in mind the stage we’re at now vs the stage we were at before today.

That was the stage to provide feedback on such things and now anything else is just a suggestion for the future as it’s not going to change now.

There are probably suggestions related to AJAX pagination / scrolling already so the discussion should continue there.
I completely understand. I hoped that you'll wipe the What's new page completely and integrate it into the forum home, eventually, but since that's not happening I'll try to express what can be improved at the current stage. This suggestion, however, is not related to the AJAX pagination, but to the URL of the page. AJAX Next Page is just one of the ways of solving page state problems. I understand that this may not come to the final release, but this is a separate suggestion.

If that is the case it would be nice if you could explain you idea about AJAX loading a bit more as I don't seem to understand it.
You hit the button to load more content, instead of getting it by scrolling.

Well that still means "endless" scrolling to get to the last result if there are enough results. it's much easier for me to load further pages instead of having everything in one monolitic page.

Top Bottom