Lack of interest Please add option for "Persistent" Notices and reset notice cookie on notice edit

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

bzcomputers

Currently if a notice is dismissed there is no way to have a user see that notice again, unless the user clears their cookie cache, or a completely new notice is created. As it is now, changing the notice message text or settings and re-saving does not reset the notice cookie.

There are instances where it is useful to show a notice, that may slightly change over time, but is dismissable (for that session or for a set amount of time).

I ran into an issue recently where my site offers weather updates through the notice system to users. Every hour we were giving hurricane updates (conveniently including a weather discussion link) that would slightly change. This type of notice is useful to be dismissable, users read it and then don't need to see the notice again until there is a change. On the admin side it would be beneficial if we could just slightly change the existing notice message, re-save and know that the user will be able to see the updated notice during there next session, or after a short amount of time (dismissed for "x" amount of time (minutes ,hour(s), days)). This "cookie time" could be added to persistent and dismissable notices as a per notice option.

As it is now the only option is to offer a notice that is not dismissable. This is inconvenient for two reasons: 1) screen space is valuable, don't need to waste it with something the user already knows after they have read it. 2) a notice should be "noticed", leaving a notice in play (not dismissable) that may only slightly change over time will probably not get the user's attention when there is a change.

Also I find it useful after using a notice that I may want to use again at a later date, to just make it inactive. This can cause some issues if the notice was previously dismissed by a user and is then reactivated at a later date in time down the road (with or without a change) currently it will never be shown to those users who may have originally dismissed it months ago. I'm not sure this is clear to most admins, I know it wasn't to me until I recently asked about it as I was testing the system.

Basically 3 suggestions here:
  1. Add option for persistent notices (can be dismissed, but come back after a certain time limit).
  2. "Cookie Time" option for persistent and dismissable notices (allow the admin to set a per notice option whether a session cookie or timed (minutes ,hour(s), days) cookie should be set)
  3. Reset notice cookie on notice edit. It would be easier to not have to delete and recreate notices that don't change or only slightly change after being dismissed (you never know how long a user's browser cache will remain intact). This will also allow for dismissable notices to be reactivated at a later date and time.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Reset notice cookie on notice edit. It would be easier to not have to delete and recreate notices that don't change or only slightly change after being dismissed (you never know how long a user's browser cache will remain intact). This will also allow for dismissable notices to be reactivated at a later date and time.
Just click "reset" when editing a notice (next to "delete"). This will not reset the notices contents.

Just click "reset" when editing a notice (next to "delete"). This will not reset the notices contents.

Thanks, never even noticed the "Reset" button before. Even if I did I'm pretty sure I wouldn't of thought it "reset" the cookie for the notice (before pushing it that is). Maybe a more descriptive name like "Reset Cookie" would help. As you mentioned in your post, at first glance I would assume it just cleared all settings as if beginning with a new notice.

I would think a better spot for that button would be right next to the "Save" button. You could then have two buttons "Save" and "Save & Reset Cookie". This seems to me like it would be more obvious to admins. Sometimes we need the obvious.

This "reset" feature really needs to be explained better somewhere in the relevant ACP. It is not mentioned/explain in the xf manual either.

I've just spent an hour recreating a specific notice (once a year thing) and then 15 minutes searching here for notice improvement suggestions.

Top Bottom