Platinum License

Hello,

i don't always like to have running costs, i prefer to have a license with which i can get updates and support forever. Hence the question if there is a possibility to buy a Platinum license.

i realy wonder how people comes with ideas about platinum, gold and silver license for xenforo do i miss something
Monday GIF by Good Morning America

i realy wonder how people comes with ideas about platinum
Well, these are not dreams, but the discussion is quite outdated. The main Xenforo competitors used to have licenses with lifetime updates. When Xenforo came out, however, the chapter was already largely closed.

I myself hold some Burning Board (now Woltlab Community Suite Forum) Platinium licenses for 15 years now, which you got back then - depending on the license - automatically after 4 to 7 times renewal of the annual license. Unlike IPS, Woltlab never broke its word, my Platinium licenses are still fully valid today. However, since 2007 or 2008 they are no longer offered and there were countless discussions about the pros and cons in the Woltlab forum. @Maximilian Rupp du kannst sie dort nachlesen...

i don't always like to have running costs, i prefer to have a license with which i can get updates and support forever.
Yeah, me too, who wouldn't want that if the price was right? But we live in a real world. And what does forever or lifelong mean - the lifespan of your forum, the company that sells the license or your own? There are a lot of risks ;)

Chris

Last edited:
It's strongly recommended though. As with every software, there might be serious issues (bugs, incompatibility, security flaws, etc.) discovered every now and then. Without an active license, you might not be able to ge the fixes. But you can always decide case by case and renew when needed.

Branding free is one-time per license.
I'm not asking to change the licensing policies but just offering my thought, security updates should be free...

security updates should be free...
Well, they kind of are. Look here:

There are the files needed to patch the security issue attached. For all versions that were supported at this time. No need for an active license.

All you need to do is subscribe to the announcements forum :)

Well, they kind of are. Look here:
There are the files needed to patch the security issue attached. For all versions that were supported at this time. No need for an active license.

All you need to do is subscribe to the announcements forum
Since the first version of my answer was based on an error, I have corrected it:

One of my licenses (XF 2.0) expired on July 3, 2018 and currently has access to version 2.07. The last update for XF 2.0 was 2.013, though.
All you need to do is subscribe to the announcements forum
Yeah, but that's kind of inside information. Would be nice if security patches were downloadable from the client account.

Chris

Last edited:
Top Bottom