Platinum License

Hello,

i don't always like to have running costs, i prefer to have a license with which i can get updates and support forever. Hence the question if there is a possibility to buy a Platinum license.

Okay then I don't necessarily have to renew after 12 months, because access to the forum is most important to me. The Branding Free is a one-time payment?
It's strongly recommended though. As with every software, there might be serious issues (bugs, incompatibility, security flaws, etc.) discovered every now and then. Without an active license, you might not be able to ge the fixes. But you can always decide case by case and renew when needed.

Branding free is one-time per license.

Last edited:
It's strongly recommended though. As with every software, there might be serious issues (bugs, incompatibility, security flaws, etc.) dsicovered every now and then. Without an active license, you might not be able to ge the fixes. But you can always deide case by case and renew when needed.
Of course, I completely agree with you. Thank you for your answers.

We did that for a while and didn't have a problem save that no one remembered we had stopped paying until I went to finally do an upgrade (we kind of skipped from 1.3.something to 1.5.something). 😔

I unintentionally do it as well. I'll usually go a few months until it pesters me about an maintenance upgrade, log in to get it and find I need to renew. So "12 months" often ends up being about 14 months.

I bought xenforo first. I switched from mybb to xenforo. but the last version the license reached was xenforo2.0.11. When it came to xenforo2.1.6 version it changed a lot and my version remained outdated. I had to renew it.

I unintentionally do it as well. I'll usually go a few months until it pesters me about an maintenance upgrade, log in to get it and find I need to renew. So "12 months" often ends up being about 14 months.

Last time, I took advantage of the "sale" at the end of 2018 to buy extensions out to 2021 so I haven't had to worry about it since then. The board is quite small and has been flagging this past year so I probably won't renew next year unless and until I am fairly sure it's going to stay around.

You don't always have to update immediately, especially because an update or a new version is not released immediately when it expires. Only such a Platinum license would be of course much nicer because then you only pay once and then you have peace of mind.

It doesn't make sense from a company or financial standpoint to allow such a license. Why have 1000 customers pay say $200 each, ONCE when they can pay anywhere from $55-85+ a YEAR, each and the company then makes more money?

It doesn't make sense from a company or financial standpoint to allow such a license. Why have 1000 customers pay say $200 each, ONCE when they can pay anywhere from $55-85+ a YEAR, each and the company then makes more money?
And the expenses of developing the product are not one-time expenses since for software, it is mostly HR-related costs like pay and benefits. An ongoing revenue stream provides steady revenue against those ongoing expenses. A one-time $200 payment would get booked in the current fiscal year, but expenses related to servicing that customer would still be incurred in subsequent years. Even if you amortize it over the expected life of the customer, there will still be a point where it no longer covers the cost of providing the service.

I would also like to point out, IPS used to offer a "perpetual' license i believe, or whatever they called it where those license holders got upgrades and support free since they were grandfathered into that plan, but eventually they forced them all to migrate to their current business plan for licensing because it wasn't financially fieasible for them to continue to support customers who weren't paying a dime anymore.

Top Bottom