Plans for mods ?

XFA

Hi there,

I am a vB developper, known as vBDev and author of one of the most used chatbox for vB. A customer sent me the link to this place and I must say that so far I find this new forum software pretty handy, the navigation and user experience is nice and smooth.

I therefore wanted to know if you could tell us more about your plans on third party mods ? Will you the software embed easy access point to location of the code (hooks) and the possibility to create products (perhaps in a better way ofc ?) like we do on the vB platform ?

Any sneak peek on this side would be interesting :)

Cya

The official mod community will be right here at xenForo.com. There won't be any "we don't support modified code, you'll have to go to xenForo.org for support".
I'm sure that other coders will open their own sites to offer mods for xF, but this will be the official modding site.

Glad to hear it. Not that I ever need vB Support for my forums anyway ;)

That's a good thing :) Not supporting modified code and not helping coder community wans't such a good thing.

I dont think xF will suppport mods in the sense of "mod abc broke feature xyz, can you take a look" - this would be your problem. No developer or support dept has the time to learn the ins and outs of all mods, it is up to the mod developer to provide support.

I dont think xF will suppport mods in the sense of "mod abc broke feature xyz, can you take a look" - this would be your problem. No developer or support dept has the time to learn the ins and outs of all mods, it is up to the mod developer to provide support.

Agreed, it is up to the mod developer, but the attitude of the vB support team was that if you had any modifications, working or not, they wouldn't help you one bit until your installation was returned to it's default settings.

Agreed, it is up to the mod developer, but the attitude of the vB support team was that if you had any modifications, working or not, they wouldn't help you one bit until your installation was returned to it's default settings.

Yep that's a true fact :(

I see you already registered a domain for unofficial mods community :D Ya don't loose your time ;)

There won't be any "we don't support modified code, you'll have to go to xenForo.org for support".
I am wondering how far that would hold true though.
To be fair, a lot of third party code can break the forum and especially the ones that have multiple hooks or listeners. I think it would be quite time consuming, if even possible, for the official devs or the support staff to go over customer complaints and fix the problems.

Its probably not going to be the most liked thing here but i do feel that mod support should be only given by the mod authors.

Well I think that Peggy was rather saying that the third party mods will be handled there without being "excluded" by the officiel ways.

And I do agree with you on the fact that it would be bearly impossible for the XF dev to support these mods ;)

It all depends I would imagine - An extensively modified site will obviously have a higher risk of generating issues as opposed to a lightly modified site - Hopefully there will be much more available as part of the "package" as a whole so that less modifications to your forum are needed ;)

It all depends I would imagine - An extensively modified site will obviously have a higher risk of generating issues as opposed to a lightly modified site - Hopefully there will be much more available as part of the "package" as a whole so that less modifications to your forum are needed ;)

I would prefer a much lighter core package, than one with more features than I need. As xen stands at the moment, I don't think (from frontend) that there's much missing.

I would prefer a much lighter core package, than one with more features than I need. As xen stands at the moment, I don't think (from frontend) that there's much missing.

I'd much rather buy a forum software that has more than I will use than buy one that I will have to extensively modify.

Hopefully, there will be more control over the silly little things regarding forum permissions, user permissions, usergroup permissions etc so that less modification is required.

Yeah but anyway it's just a question of tastes so the forum should contain at least the strict necessary stuff and all other goodies shall be disabled by default :)

And then mods come for stuff that aren't really awaited in a forum software but that only a part of the users require.

But by the devs including some things that could be modifications within the released software you will have less chance of that feature not working or clashing with other parts of the forum.

I'd much rather buy a forum software that has more than I will use than buy one that I will have to extensively modify.

Hopefully, there will be more control over the silly little things regarding forum permissions, user permissions, usergroup permissions etc so that less modification is required.

I understand what you mean but imo the approach for doing that can be different. The core should be light and offer as many features as the majority of users want. The rest can be made available as addons. eg i for one am not a fan of profile customization(and indeed when it was first introduced in vb, many thought the same)

I think Kier did mention somewhere before that the idea is to develop a robust core first.

But by the devs including some things that could be modifications within the released software you will have less chance of that feature not working or clashing with other parts of the forum.​
Agreed but again, the key would be to identify what features are used by a majority to be worthy of an official release and support. There is for example no point coding a feature into core(or even supporting officially) that max 100 forums will use.​

Yep, I would rather as much as possible be included in the development version, and merely left to the user as to whether or not enable. You have that validity of quality then vs. third party mod that could be hacked due to crap code or conflicts. The more it contains by default, merely left in a disabled state, the better IMHO.

I agree with Safin. I personally feel that xenForo as a whole (not just in its early stages) should be kept free of features that 50% of people wont use. They can always release their own addons to add these features in for those that want them.

Going back to the later 3.x releasesd of vB I wasnt a fan of a lot of the new things introduced:
- Profile customizations
- Tags
- Social Bookmarks on the bottom of threads
etc

Personally I feel these should be addons. That way if you really want them, you can put them on the forum. Keeping it light for those who dont want these somewhat pointless features.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but surely even for people who DO want these features you can see my point. Personally as it currently stands I see the current features of xenForo complete, and wouldn't want any other features added as default (ie built into the core).

Personally I feel these should be addons. That way if you really want them, you can put them on the forum. Keeping it light for those who dont want these somewhat pointless features.

+1 ! When adding lots of stuff by default even disabled there are always side issues or side load that remains.

And hey ! leave us mods developpers some work ;)

correct! i confused you with MPdev ... :)

Cool, then I am not mad :D

Top Bottom