Plain public front for a private site? (resolved)

StarRiver

I'm just starting to set up a site using xenForo for my organization's internal discussions. There will be no public access and registration is all by invitation (i.e. done administratively). I would like the front page of this site to show the usual forum list to registered users who have set cookies for auto-login. For everyone else, I would like the front page to just have a simple message and a place to sign in, like this:

frontpage2.png

If I try to do this just with permissions (set "View node" to Not Set (No) for guests), I get this:

frontpage1.png

What I'm aiming for is totally plain – no menus or links, no images, no styling – just plain static html for the message and then the login form.

I'm comfortable with coding and happy to modify templates to get the result I want, but I'd appreciate some advice from experienced xenForo developers on the best way to approach getting this result.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think I have it sorted although there may well be a better way.

I've made the following modifications to the page_container template:

In the head section, for the page title, I have:
Code:
    <xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id}"><title>Internal Work-team Forums</title>
    <xen:else />
    <title><xen:if is="{$title}">{xen:raw $title} | {$xenOptions.boardTitle}<xen:else />{$xenOptions.boardTitle}</xen:if></title>
    </xen:if>

At the start of the body section I test for a logged in user followed by the
standard body section for page_container:
Code:
<body{xen:if {$bodyClasses}, ' class="{$bodyClasses}"'}>
<xen:hook name="body">
<xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}">
... rest of the standard body section for page_container down to ...
<footer>
    <xen:include template="footer" />
</footer>

<xen:include template="page_container_js_body" />
After the standard body section for page_container I add a stripped down version of that same body section that gives me the simplified login page:
Code:
<xen:else />
<div id="content" class="{$contentTemplate}">
    <div class="pageWidth">
        <div class="pageContent">
            <!-- main content area -->

<!--[if lt IE 8]>
                <p class="importantMessage">{xen:phrase you_are_using_out_of_date_browser_upgrade}</p>
            <![endif]-->

<!-- main template -->

<form action="login/login" method="post" class="xenForm" id="pageLogin">

<h2 class="textHeading">Registered users please log in</h2>

<dl class="ctrlUnit">
                    <dt><label for="ctrl_pageLogin_login">Your name or email address:</label></dt>
                    <dd><input type="text" name="login" value="" id="ctrl_pageLogin_login" class="textCtrl" tabindex="1" /></dd>
                </dl>

<dl class="ctrlUnit">
                    <dt><label for="ctrl_pageLogin_password">Password:</label></dt>
                    <dd>
                        <input type="password" name="password" class="textCtrl" id="ctrl_pageLogin_password" />                  
                        <div><label for="ctrl_pageLogin_remember" class="rememberPassword"><input type="checkbox" name="remember" value="1" id="ctrl_pageLogin_remember" tabindex="3" /> Stay logged in</label></div>
                    </dd>
                </dl>
                <dl class="ctrlUnit submitUnit">
                    <dt></dt>
                    <dd>
                        <input type="submit" class="button primary" value="Log in" data-loginPhrase="Log in" data-signupPhrase="Sign up" tabindex="4" />
                        <a href="lost-password/" class="OverlayTrigger OverlayCloser" tabindex="6">Forgot your password?</a>
                    </dd>
                </dl>
                <input type="hidden" name="cookie_check" value="1" />
                <input type="hidden" name="_xfToken" value="" />
                <input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="/" />
            </form>
        </div>
    </div>
</div>
<xen:include template="page_container_js_body" />
</xen:if>

The result looks like: