Piracy - The Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would admittedly be a little easier if Xenforo had Customer and Associate usergroups, rather than just having everyone in together.

In what way? My alternate needs the same access and resources that I have as the license holder.

In what way? My alternate needs the same access and resources that I have as the license holder.

I meant if xenforo.com displayed or indicated somewhat the customer or associate status of an individual, rather than there being no idicator if person X is a licensed customer or not.

Thanks for your opinion.

It's not just my opinion because you happen to disagree with it.. It is a violation of privacy. Personally I have no issue displaying I'm a license holder without my prior consent, but with it not being in the privacy agreement that they can display information about your license status is and would only take one person to land xF right back in court.. Bottom line is this would need to be a opt in if you agree to show your license status and a second opt in to display others on your account are sub holders of yours.

It's not just my opinion because you happen to disagree with it.. It is a violation of privacy. Personally I have no issue displaying I'm a license holder without my prior consent, but with it not being in the privacy agreement that they can display information about your license status is and would only take one person to land xF right back in court.. Bottom line is this would need to be a opt in if you agree to show your license status and a second opt in to display others on your account are sub holders of yours.

I appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

that's even worse.

I disagree. If the licensee is adding people to the account without vetting them, then they SHOULD be held accountable for any piracy done from that account. Unless the account holder can prove beyond a shadow of doubt that he's not at fault for adding those individuals, he or she should be held responsible for the actions of those he gave access to.

License holders are responsible for who they appoint to act in their absence. Accountability is the key. If the license holder doesn't want to be held accountable for someone he or she has appointed as an Associated member of that account, then don't appoint anyone.

I disagree. If the licensee is adding people to the account without vetting them, then they SHOULD be held accountable for any piracy done from that account. Unless the account holder can prove beyond a shadow of doubt that he's not at fault for adding those individuals, he or she should be held responsible for the actions of those he gave access to.

License holders are responsible for who they appoint to act in their absence. Accountability is the key. If the license holder doesn't want to be held accountable for someone he or she has appointed as an Associated member of that account, then don't appoint anyone.

Thank you for understanding this simple concept.

If you have a doubt that one of your administrators would turn on you, that person shouldn't be an admin on your site. If you don't trust your staff, why are they on your staff?

Yeah,because their is no chance in hell that trusted tech admins would ever betray you for whatever reason. Geez man, don't be so naive. Many things aren't that easy as they seem to be.

Do not associate people you explicitly don't trust, if you are concerned you are or have any incline you could, don't add them this is on your back, and it's your responsibility. Things aren't always easy that's the beauty of getting stewarts sound suggestion off the ground, getting it to something that is implemented, applicable to a productive state is vital and shouldn't be met with a kind of "but what if" resistance type scenario.

It takes time for people to develop resources, your really at the mercy of them because they could just simply remove them, from here if they were so inclined. If they thought people here were ripping stuff off or trying to side track this topic, in short they would probably do anything to distract the thread and possibly play victim when in short you have to ask

- Did they spend time developing the resource?
- Did they spend time learning and accumulating the knowledge to get to the point in building resources?
- Is it your <insert resource>?

If the answer to that is no, which it probably is and your one of the ones enjoying the said resource then anyone should be embracing ideas in combating piracy.

Normally I would give a rat's ass, I spent many years (like john in the old vbulletin days) combating spam but there needs to be people will to bend over a little and tbh I appreciate the time and effort the add-on creators put in here giving us stuff free and also building us exceptionally paid add-ons, if they do decide to leave then it would be worrying.

It's not being naive. I have no problem deleting stuff off here if i thought my work was being abused (which actually it does) I turn a blind eye to it but since some of the add-on creators here are willing to fight and i have such a high respect what they do, this get's my vote to do something productive.

@stewart - Don't allow to be sidetracked. Best bit of advice I can give which although isn't much but the suggestion has my support, i guess.

Admins and forum owners is another way to go. If they can group together and acculate a database of rippers (banning known rippers from said site) heck have a seal or something like the add-on installer except for piracy so more people are aware and join in eliminating known rippers and banning from forums. I dunno if that would work, i'm just throwing the idea out there and noticing I'm now rambling on a bit. Yeah I'll end here before i start wring a novel.

I am lost now.
Make believe I run a site...someone offers an admin of mine $5000 to grab the db and squash the site to kill that 'someones' competition. A logical step in this would be to try and ruin the reputation of the person so nobody listens to them or their story. The site which sells the software they run is one logical stop in defacing someone...and money talks and this chit does happen, not having to do with xf but I know someone that this has happened to.

That is the kind thing he is hinting at....

Make believe I run a site...someone offers an admin of mine $5000 to grab the db and squash the site to kill that 'someones' competition. A logical step in this would be to try and ruin the reputation of the person so nobody listens to them or their story. The site which sells the software they run is one logical stop in defacing someone...and money talks and this chit does happen, not having to do with xf but I know someone that this has happened to.

That is the kind thing he is hinting at....

I would suggest he find admins with a bit more integrity then.

The people who have access to sites I own, I implicitly trust. I would have no issues having my account revoked if they pirated, because in the end, it was MY choice allowing them access.

If the powers that be here decide they would support a similar setup to what IPB does, I would be all for it...heck, they even do something similar at the Org. I think we have some of the best of the best of the forum software world's add on creators/stylers in this community and being able to "commune" with one another in a semi-private setting would be nothing but a benefit to the XF ecosystem. I would fully support it and would be willing to volunteer my time in whatever way was needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom