phpBB3 conversion with other questions...

rightclickfix

I've been using phpBB3 for years and have been ready to move to a pro setup for over a year now and had vbulletin in mind all the way but I stumbled upon xenofo tonight and now my heads in a shed! :eek:
I'm very impressed with it so far and was about to order when I stumbled upon the annual $40 fee which has put a stop on things. I know support and progression/updates are time consuming and very hard work so appreciate the need for it but funds aren't the best right now so I need to ask a few questions to help me push the button if it's ok?

1. I noticed WP integration is possible with XF. That's a major factor for me and if it works will give my site a real boost (can I post a link to it?)

2. My 6 year old phpBB3 forum has got a few issues in admin (automod issue and DB updates problems so if I import it will it work? I have just read about test sites so might try that 1st.

3. How secure is XF? I used to have a lot of bother with spambots in phpBB3 that are a pain! Is the registration secure enough and is there any known issues?

4. I'm not only exporting my forums but I'm also moving them to a new host which is really why I'm here. I want a new forum on a new host and if I can import the DB and files I'd be delighted (y)

In summary I need to be sure I can import the phpBB3 forums which research seems to say is quite simple (gulp) and I'd also like to integrate them with my WP installation on the main site. If this is possible I'm your newest customer :D

1. Post a link to your site? Yeah.
2. You should test the import first.
3. There have been no security issues within the software itself, only once in a 3rd party software and XenForo was one of the first to implement and deploy a fix.
4. You can easily switch hosts with XenForo.

1) Yes, it is, many sites use it very successfully.

2) phpBB and XenForo are like night and day. Trust me, phpBB is based on really old code (that is more or less equal to the phpBB2 code in a lot of ways) and is full of holes, inconsistencies, and godawful design. XenForo is, genuinely, one of the best-coded platforms out there, and easily the best forum software I've used. Your import should work fine as long as your database is intact - if not, post on this site and we can help you work through the problems!

3) There's only ever been one security issue with XenForo in the three years or so it's been released, and it was with a third-party dependency (SWFUpload). I have read that XenForo were one of the first to fix it and issue a (very easy to apply) security patch. As long as you take reasonable precautions (like having a secure super admin password).

As for spambots, XenForo gets them too, like everything, but 1.2 has a lot of extremely good security features. They tend to work better and more reliably than the phpBB3 anti-spam mods I tried, and are less intrusive to the end user. Plus, phpBB is literally the most attacked forum platform out there (due to being the most popular), so you might just notice a drop anyway. XenForo has native support for Stop Forum Spam, Project Honey Pot, and Akismet integration, respectively, and our site very very rarely lets spam through, despite not using CAPTCHA or e-mail verification.

4) XenForo is easy to switch hosts with. If you have an existing install, just copy the files to your new host, dump the database (with something like phpMyAdmin, mysqldump, or similar) then import it to the new host. and update your library/config.php with the new details. Aside from changing your board URL in the Admin > Options > Basic Board Information setting if it has changed at all, that's literally all you need to do to make it work.

When you copy your files over, be sure to copy everything, including the hidden .htaccess file to ensure friendly URLs still work in Apache.

And to speak conjecturally for a moment: Moving from phpBB3 to XenForo is the best thing we ever did. It's an upgrade in every conceivable way, and has more than justified the cost. You can take a look at my recent thread in the Forum Showcase forum if you want to see a few statistics regarding this.

Also, the $40 per year is only for upgrades. What it means is that you are allowed to use the version of XenForo you have downloaded forever, without the need to pay again, but in order to update to a newer version, you will need to renew your license to do so. It is not a mechanism where your forum stops working after a year until you renew.

WOW that's a quick reply! thanks Jeremy :) I saw the migration feature in the demo which is really what got me to register as I think it's absolutely amazing :cool:

http://kayakfishinguk.co.uk is my community site which I've moved to a new host but the forums are still on the old host and I'm paying for both at the moment so want it sorted asap. My concern is integrating the DB's on the new host you see.

edit: thanks for that TP I really appreciate the phpbb3 info and thats exactly why I need to get away from it I just didn't wanna go into it.
I take it the upgrades will be security releases and bugfixes like phpbb3 which is why I asked. Meaning that if u don't pay annually u don't get them so your forum will become insecure if u get me? That's what I was meaning.

Another former phpBB user here.

As has been said, moving to XenForo really made a huge difference to the site, in terms of usability and member activity.

cheers Brogan, your input in here is invaluable. Iw as your experiences I've been reading about including WP integration so expect to see me around in the near future ;)

I've just gone to 'buy' and am getting an error saying no user with these detail yet I'm registered? anyone help please?

If you import, xF will most likely ignore all your addon data, and just import the default phpBB stuff. It never hurts to do a test import first though.

As for spam, it is the same as phpBB3, but xF do support some blacklists out of the box. I only use are you a human (3rd part addon), which seems to do the trick for now.

I take it the upgrades will be security releases and bugfixes like phpbb3 which is why I asked. Meaning that if u don't pay annually u don't get them so your forum will become insecure if u get me? That's what I was meaning.
Pretty much, although I'll reiterate that XF is pretty secure anyway. You'll miss out on any new features, bug fixes, and security fixes in any XenForo versions released after your license expires. You'll also not be able to use the Resource Manager to download add-ons and their updates.

It's actually a pretty good set-up, because you don't need to renew unless you want to upgrade your XenForo install, and then you've got another year of upgrades included with that $40.

cheers Brogan I did it arse over t*t as usual :whistle: sorted now and excited :D
cheers Magnus, noted for ffr :)
Maybe I should uninstall the mods prior to exporting for best results? one major issue I do have is the "chatbox" or '"shoutbox" we have currently. I do think I'd huff members if that wasn't replaced but I'm sure I saw an add on during my research earlier...
thanks for all the help gusy its really appreciated :cool:

edit: yeas teapot it really is impressive stuff! I'm off to play around in the demo....
Andy

Doesn't matter what addons you have installed on your phpBB, unless they change the default database structure, xF will completely ignore them and only go for the data it needs.

Maybe I should uninstall the mods prior to exporting for best results? one major issue I do have is the "chatbox" or '"shoutbox" we have currently. I do think I'd huff members if that wasn't replaced but I'm sure I saw an add on during my research earlier...
thanks for all the help gusy its really appreciated
No need, XenForo doesn't care about the source phpBB install, only its database. :) The add-on you're looking for is @Luke Foreman's TaigaChat or TaigaChat Pro.

awesome lads cheers I'll bookmark the links for l8r. I've made quite a few php hacks over the years to overall_header.php and the like with link edits and mods so its good to know I don't have to worry :) Loving the FB, Twitter integration, trophies, rss feeds and mostly the simple forum set up. The permissions in phpbb are a nightmare like adding a moderator for example. Copying permissions from other forums when adding new ones etc too! Not knocking phpbb3 mind it's been great for me over the years with awesome FREE support!
With support like this before we start instills confidence in going ahead to try & buy it as new customers.

Thanks again

Andy

ps: I never put my avatar in here so it must've taken it from my fb account or google maybe? powerful stuff 8)

<snip>
ps: I never put my avatar in here so it must've taken it from my fb account or google maybe? powerful stuff 8)

Avatars are taken from Gravatar if the registration email has one. This can actually be disabled, although I've no idea why anyone would want that ;)

I've used phpBB, and I say I do prefer xenForo. I did import from vBulletin, but I remember the phpBB admin panel - I hated it, to say the least. Also, I never could figure out how to make phpBB addons...

This is just here if you need any more solidity before making your purchase. I know you already have, but still ;)

Liam

Avatars are taken from Gravatar if the registration email has one. This can actually be disabled, although I've no idea why anyone would want that ;)
Because Gravatar frequently acts like a yo-yo?

I've used phpBB, and I say I do prefer xenForo. I did import from vBulletin, but I remember the phpBB admin panel - I hated it, to say the least. Also, I never could figure out how to make phpBB addons...
This is just here if you need any more solidity before making your purchase. I know you already have, but still ;)
Liam
Used it... dumped it and went with myBB. Still using myBB on two of my sites currently.

Top Bottom