1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP -What does this mean......

Discussion in 'General PHP and MySQL Discussions' started by DaveL, Oct 11, 2011.

1. DaveL

DaveL Well-Known Member

Im going through a few tutorials and was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what ." means?

Ive tried google but not having much joy!

This is the context in which it is used -
    PHP:
    $contents .= 

Plus if anyone knows ofa webpage that lists all of these kind of expressions with their meaning it would be really appreciated. I seem to know the basic ones, but theres a few popping up im not to sure on.

2. ragtek

ragtek Guest

$var .= 'add me';

is the same as

$var = $var . 'add me';

you can do the same with + , -

hope this helps, (sorry, i don't know how this is called in english;) )

Fuhrmann and DaveL like this.
  3. James

James Well-Known Member

DaveL likes this.
  4. DaveL

DaveL Well-Known Member

Thank you both, got it now :D

5. SheepCow

SheepCow Well-Known Member

6. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

Yeah... I always thought it was odd that PHP has a .= operator, but not a =.

Daniel Thomann and James like this.
  7. Daniel Thomann

Daniel Thomann Active Member

I think that is because the array association '=>'.. if you make it greater or same you have to make '>=' and eventually it cames from there.

8. SheepCow

SheepCow Well-Known Member

I believe it's because in C if it was assignment (=) addition (+), it would have to be the same for other assignment-operation operators, and things like:

a =- 2;

The compiler wouldn't know if you mean "a equals minus 2" or "a subtract 2, assign to a" as whitespace has little meaning.