Server issue PHP version

The PHP version is being reported as PHP 5.4.43 and that comes from PHP’s internal phpversion() function. It won’t be wrong :)

Checking it with PHP info as above is a good first step to confirming that. After that it would be something best reported to your host.

You can also confirm here, https://redbot.org
This doesn't show me anything specific to the php version issue.
The PHP version is being reported as PHP 5.4.43 and that comes from PHP’s internal phpversion() function. It won’t be wrong :)

Checking it with PHP info as above is a good first step to confirming that. After that it would be something best reported to your host.
After some time with my provider and confirming that php 5.6 is indeed active, Xenforo does not appear to be reading phpversion() correctly and reports incorrect info.
Example : do an info.php of the main site, then do a admin.php?tools/phpinfo of the community sub directory

Just installed xf2.03 update in its sub directory same server and admin.php?tools/phpinfo shows PHP Version 5.6.32 so xf2 IS reading and reporting phpversion() correctly where as xf 1.5.18 is NOT but reports PHP Version 5.4.43

It is a server issue, unfortunately.

We're not actively working on a fix as we cannot confirm or reproduce a bug. phpversion() returns the PHP version of the PHP binary that executed the page. It's code that we've had in use for years with many customers and we've never before had any problems reported to us - this only affects you right now as far as we're aware. The only thing we changed the other day is 5.4.0 to 5.6.0. Being as your server is reporting that you're using PHP 5.4, that's what has changed to trigger this. With all the will in the world, there's nothing we can do to change what PHP is reporting to us when running that function. It would require further investigation with your host.

Only xf 1.5.18 shows PHP Version 5.4 all else shows PHP Version 5.6.32 all on the same host so xf 1.5.18 is at fault in reading phpversion wrong

After many hours and several days of our host investigating this issue, their conclusion is that it is not a server issue. Given that this issue has arisen only with updating to xf 1.5.18 and you say it is a server issue I fail to see where having ftp and admin access will convince you otherwise.
So circle closed, no need for further discussion.
Thanks for your time........

Well you’ll get the same warning displaying when you upgrade to 1.5.19 too. If it’s not a server issue then it must be a bug.

If it is a bug, then Admin and FTP access is exactly what we need to ascertain that.

Doesn’t seem sensible to have what could be an outstanding issue - server or software - and not rectify it.

What happens if you eventually come to upgrade to 2.1 which will not only warn you about PHP 5.6 but actively prevent you from proceeding? Ok it works right now with 2.0 but if it’s a server or software issue then who knows if it could reoccur.

So please submit a ticket and we’ll get to the bottom of it for you.

It would also be beneficial to the community that if it is truly a bug in XF, getting it solved would be optimal. Only way to solve it is to work on it on a site that is having the issue since it is not reproducible.

I have now specially registered to help them.
I had the same problem until just now, so the following helps (Apache2 still uses the old one)

This is how you can fix the problem

First check which php version you have installed -> php -v

Please remember the version!

If you don't want to run a certain version with Apache2 anymore you have to block this version. Do this as follows -> sudo a2dismod phpOLDVERSION

Now you only have to activate the version you want to use that you do as follows -> sudo a2enmod phpNEWVERSION

Now please restart your server and look in AdminCP if your php has changed ;)

I hope I could help you.
Best regards

Last edited:
If someone should still have this issue:
Do exactly what @Xe|no|Loro did and also remove your old version using apt purge php7.2 php7.2-common (php 7.2 for example)

Restart using systemctl restart apache2 and it will work.

Top Bottom