XF 2.1 PHP Storm

Ozzy47

Do I have seen, and been told that PHP Storm is the way to go for XF development.

Once I purchase it, how do I set it up to read from the core of XF and help me write my addons?

If you're using Windows you could go with:
  • WSL1
  • Vagrant
  • Docker
  • XAMPP/WAMPP
  • Hyper-V (requires Pro)
When using WSL, Docker or Hyper-V you're going to end up having a bit more complex setup which would require you to make use of PHP Storm's built in deployment tools to sync add-on files.

Reactions: Xon

PHP Storm has built in vagrant support.

Debugging with PHP Storm:

Kier and Mike (and I) certainly don't use the same IDE we used to use nearly 10 years ago.

We do use PhpStorm now and have done for several years. In fact, it might be that we've used PhpStorm longer now than we used anything else 😉

phpstorm is utterly worth it's cost. No way I could maintain all my XF2 add-ons without it, and has massively cut down on various classes of bugs for my XF2 add-ons.

phpstorm's ability to infer type information and detect type conflicts is critical

I use the fairly simple to configure auto-deployment rules to push code to a VM which contains production-like software instead of developing on Windows and having things behave very differently to production.

I use the fairly simple to configure auto-deployment rules to push code to a VM which contains production-like software instead of developing on Windows and having things behave very differently to production.
That makes a lot of sense. There's a very significant difference in bugs between many (not all) developers developing on windows and those testing on production like software.

Writing a code in a notebook in 2019 Moveton. PhPStorm is the best development environment for writing code with tons of plugins and features. In addition to all this, you need to consider that it is very difficult to build a large project without a development environment and its capabilities to track any classes and not only.

Top Bottom