PHP 5.6 SMTP Certificate Question

AppleAndMango

Bit a noob when it comes to SSL certificates.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading to PHP 5.6 though I use a SMTP to send my forums email which means with PHP 5.6 it has to validate the SSL certificate in order to actually send email our I'll get an error similar to the below.

OpenSSL Error messages: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

My question is, do I need a different SSL certificate to cover my sending address? "mail.veganforum.co.uk" it appears as though as my current only secures www.veganforum.co.uk and veganforum.co.uk but no sub-domains.

Do I just need to purchase a new SSL certificate that supports sub-domains to get my forum sending email through SMTP using TLS again?

I hope I don't need to buy a new SSL certificate, I've just checked to see how much a certificate costs for securing sub-domains... Yikes very expensive!

Any help with this? :P

I hope I don't need to buy a new SSL certificate, I've just checked to see how much a certificate costs for securing sub-domains... Yikes very expensive!

Any help with this? :p

You should be able to do a file edit to disable the verification, but I don't have the files open on my phone so I wouldn't be able to tell you which or what.

Liam

P.S If you shop around, you can generally find a wildcard certificate for <US$50.

Ahh.. Bummer, so it is the actual case of having to use a wildcard certificate?

The cheapest I've found is $99 ish if you have any sources for a cheaper alternative that'd be great!

I'm not certain on whether I want to disable verification or not, I mean there's probably a good reason it's been implemented with PHP 5.6+?

Thanks @Liam W

Last edited:

Any help with this? :p
I'm cheating (and it seems to be working just fine) by using LetsEncrypt's certificates... and I've set up a CRON job to automate the updates to it (since it expires every 90 days).

If anyone else has this problem and wants an easy solution, just use a third party emailing service like mailgun. Simple!

If anyone else has this problem and wants an easy solution, just use a third party emailing service like mailgun. Simple!
Works fine... IF... and only IF you are only going to be doing mail for the server itself...
But, if you want to do something like this

tbb_webmail1.webp

and offer your users branded email, then it won't work very well. ;)

Top Bottom