PHP 5.6.0 released

rdn

The PHP Development Team announces the immediate availability of PHP 5.6.0. This new version release comes with new features, some backward incompatible changes and many improvements.

The main features of PHP 5.6.0 include:

For a full list of new features, you may read our migration guide new features chapter.

PHP 5.6.0 also introduces changes that affect compatibility:

• Array keys won't be overwritten when defining an array as a property of a class via an array literal.
  • json_decode() is more strict in JSON syntax parsing.
  • Stream wrappers now verify peer certificates and host names by default when using SSL/TLS.
  • GMP resources are now objects.
  • Mcrypt functions now require valid keys and IVs.
For users upgrading from PHP 5.5, a full migration guide is available, detailing the changes between 5.5 and 5.6.0.

For source downloads of PHP 5.6.0, please visit our downloads page. Windows binaries can be found onwindows.php.net/download/. The full list of changes is available in the ChangeLog.

And time to see what breaks with it on the CentOS 6.5 box. Busy doing a compile of it now.

You using GeoIP on your site (for PHP?). I get a compile error when I do a pecl install geoip.

EDIT:

Ended up having to remove the PECL that was installed under 5.5.16 and install again (after remembering how to change the PEAR temp directory)... it's working now.

So far I haven't noticed any other problems.

Last edited:
You using GeoIP on your site (for PHP?). I get a compile error when I do a pecl install geoip.

EDIT:

Ended up having to remove the PECL that was installed under 5.5.16 and install again (after remembering how to change the PEAR temp directory)... it's working now.

Wasn't using GeoIP.

Well, another problem I've just noticed.... I use postfix/dovecot on my server to send/receive my mail. After the upgrade to 5.6 using the bounce feature of XenForo results in a failed logon with imap (was working before the upgrade). Am in the process of now recompiling 5.5.16 to use and see if that solves the problem.

And it's confirmed... I regressed back to PHP 5.5.16 and postfix/dovecot works just fine for the IMAP connection from XenForo.

Code:
Aug 28 07:46:51 poomba dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<nsl_bounce>, method=PLAIN, rip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, lip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, mpid=29800, TLS
Aug 28 07:46:51 poomba dovecot: imap(nsl_bounce): Disconnected: Logged out bytes=49/697

And the same on 5.6
Code:
Aug 28 07:18:51 poomba dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, lip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, TLS handshaking: SSL_accept() failed: error:14094418:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert unknown ca: SSL alert number 48

@Mike or @Kier, would the new changes in PHP 5.6 possibly cause a problem with this (PHP is compiled via Centmin Mod).

That would appear to be related to the fact that 5.6 verifies certificates by default and can't verify your IMAP server's cert.

EDIT:

For major PHP version updates, I usually recompile all extra PHP extensions to prevent problems like this. That is what Centmin Mod PHP-FPM upgrade menu does. But PHP GeoIP isn't a default extension for Centmin Mod PHP-FPM - might have to add it to next release :)

Well, another problem I've just noticed.... I use postfix/dovecot on my server to send/receive my mail. After the upgrade to 5.6 using the bounce feature of XenForo results in a failed logon with imap (was working before the upgrade). Am in the process of now recompiling 5.5.16 to use and see if that solves the problem.

probably what @Mike said, as I updated my forums to PHP 5.6.0 without problems https://community.centminmod.com/th...upgraded-to-php-5-6-0-ga-stable-release.1220/ :)

For major PHP version updates, I usually recompile all extra PHP extensions to prevent problems like this. That is what Centmin Mod PHP-FPM upgrade menu does. But PHP GeoIP isn't a default extension for Centmin Mod PHP-FPM - might have to add it to next release :)
I was actually surprised it wasn't already there. :p

probably what @Mike said, as I updated my forums to PHP 5.6.0 without problems https://community.centminmod.com/th...upgraded-to-php-5-6-0-ga-stable-release.1220/ :)
Due to using a self-signed certificate is what is causing the problem. You have to utilize the
verify_peer
allow_self_signed
local_cert
cafile (possibly)
in the php.ini file.

The documentation is not as detailed as I would prefer. I solved the problem by just using dovecot on IMAP port 143 and blocking all access to ports 993, 995, 143, 110 from any IP other than those listed in my CSF allow file. Works fine now.... but not the way I would rather it to do. But, I have time to play with it now.

i run 5.4.30 can i ask my host to update on 5.6 it is safe, also run CENTOS 6.5 x86_64 virtuozzo – server

Top Bottom