php 5.5 support

Adam Howard

It took a while for XenForo to add limited support for php 5.4. I say limited as there are still some areas where this needs improving.

I'm placing my request now, that the XenForo Development Team follow and track the development of php 5.5 when time allows.

php 5.5 Alpha 1 has been released and no, I do not expect anyone to support it at this time in its Alpha or Beta state. Only that it not be delayed and that upon its gold release, that it be included in future versions of XenForo.

I would suggest also dropping support for php 5.2 which is almost 3 years old, past discontinued and end of life.

Upvote 1
It's still the default for many hosts.
php 5.2 has a security flaw that can not be patched. There were several advisories that people should upgrade. Since those notices, several more security flaws were found.

If you're using php 5.2 .... You can be hacked and there is nothing you can do about it while still using php 5.2

At work, our target is 5.3, my personal target is 5.4, but I don't see adoption of 5.5 any time soon, as a lot of hosts are slow to upgrade to 5.3. I do see with time that XenForo will support 5.5 as its req

At work, our target is 5.3, my personal target is 5.4, but I don't see adoption of 5.5 any time soon, as a lot of hosts are slow to upgrade to 5.3. I do see with time that XenForo will support 5.5 as its req
I always aim for current, but I've been told again and again why people don't do so....

With that said....

I figure 1 version behind should be OK for legacy, not 2 or more (in my opinion). I'd target for 5.4 as legacy once 5.5 is released.

Small follow up ....

php 5.5 alpha 4 is out with beta 1 planned in or around February 7, 2013

There will be no more features in the beta builds, but consolidate the source code and fix found bugs. Now would be the time to "start" an early following of php 5.5 :)

php 5.2 has a security flaw that can not be patched. There were several advisories that people should upgrade. Since those notices, several more security flaws were found.

If you're using php 5.2 .... You can be hacked and there is nothing you can do about it while still using php 5.2
Yep, but if you are just a customer of the hosting site and don't run a VPS or dedi - then there is nothing you can do but
  1. Move to a new shared host
  2. Move to a new shared host
  3. Get smart and get a VPS
I know HostGator was stuck on a default of 5.2.x with the option (if you used .htaccess) to run 5.3. They had no immediate plans on upgrading it to a 5.3 default and allowing 5.4 as an option. :p

I'd love to upgrade to 5.4, but have they gotten the php5-geoip module done for it? I would rather not have to compile it myself as it would be just one more thing that an aptitude safe-upgrade would not cover and would have to do manually (already doing that with phpMyAdmin and a couple of other things).

I'd love to upgrade to 5.4, but have they gotten the php5-geoip module done for it? I would rather not have to compile it myself as it would be just one more thing that an aptitude safe-upgrade would not cover and would have to do manually (already doing that with phpMyAdmin and a couple of other things).
You should wait until the final version.

php beta and RC is not something you really want to put on a live site. You'd only have building from source as an option anyways.... No Linux Distros or repositories will be distributing it yet.

You should wait until the final version.

php beta and RC is not something you really want to put on a live site. You'd only have building from source as an option anyways.... No Linux Distros or repositories will be distributing it yet.

He said 5.4, not 5.5 ;)

He said 5.4, not 5.5 ;)
Yep, but I knew what Sir Adam was referring to. Debian is only at 5.3 and 5.4 is in Wheezy, which has not been released yet. I could get 5.4 .deb packages from DotDeb, but they don't have a geoip module built for 5.4 yet as far as I know.

Yep, but I knew what Howard was referring to. Debian is only at 5.3 and 5.4 is in Wheezy, which has not been released yet. I could get 5.4 .deb packages from DotDeb, but they don't have a geoip module built for 5.4 yet as far as I know.
Adam would be just fine or Adam Howard or Sir Adam Howard :)

I think geoip is one of those things that has been lagging behind in development.

Adam would be just fine or Adam Howard or Sir Adam Howard :)

I think geoip is one of those things that has been lagging behind in development.
hehehehe... I don't know why I typed your last name... what can I say - been playing on this danged computer now for 27 hours (almost straight with a few stops for snacks) trying to figure out some screwups I did to my CSS and style after trying to make it do what I wanted - it decided to do what IT wanted. Post is now edited. ;)

I know what it is... no sleep has made caused me to read from RTL instead of LTR.. yeah that's the ticket... that's what it was.

Release Candidate 3 is out

http://php.net/archive/2013.php#id2013-06-06-1

For those who don't know.... An "RC" (short for "Release Candidate") is the middle ground between beta and final.

Theoretically, but obviously not always, its thought that an RC is usually stable enough that someone with enough skill can overcome any bug & actually use it on a real world use (not just on a test setup).

This is the stage where there are no new features being added and its the final round of bug fixing that before a release.

.... For those who didn't know....

Top Bottom